Problem downloading Live Mail Beta

cyberphobic 08:18 27 Sep 2007

I want to use this on my Vista laptop so that I can transfer the Outlook Express messages across from my XP desktop. Whwn I try to download the program I get the following message - could not open key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ UI Plugins

When I use regedit to go to that key I gey the message - UI Plugins cannot be opened. An error is preventing this from being opened.

Anyone gotr any ideas how I can solve this?

Technotiger 09:32 27 Sep 2007

Run ccleaner click here it might be all that's needed, with a bit of luck! Just run CC in its default opening state.

cyberphobic 19:37 27 Sep 2007

Thanks for your suggestion, not that lucky unfortunately!
I've come across all sorts of complicated stuff about building User Interface Plugins in Windows Media Player which all sounds a bit daunting - shouldn't be this difficult should it?

cyberphobic 14:34 28 Sep 2007

Defintely L

cyberphobic 14:34 28 Sep 2007

Marg7

Defintely Live Mail Beta

cyberphobic 16:30 29 Sep 2007

There are no plugins enabled in WMP, also I cannot enable Live Messenger to show which track is being played - I get a message saying that there is a problem with my installation and I need to log on as administrator to solve the problem. I have successfully downloaded Live Mail onto another machine where the plugins show (the Live Messenger one in particular) and installation was straightforward. Not sure where to go now, can I delete WMP and LM and download new versions of the programs without these problems?

cyberphobic 07:38 02 Oct 2007

Eventually managed to delete/disable parts of WMP which has allowed me to successfully download Live Mail - it is a bit "sticky" but it works. The great thing about it, is that your mail is accessible from any PC/Laptop once you enter your email settings, so not only can you have email running on several machines concurrently, it is also obviously stored on Microsofts servers, so you have double insurance against ever losing your historical email ever again.

Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?