Problem with document losing formatting when emailed

exdragon 19:45 10 Jun 2014

Hi - can anyone explain this please? I’ve received a set of accounts as a Word 97 -2003 document which has opened in my Word 2007 in compatibility mode.
It looks perfect on my screen but when I email it to people, it loses some formatting (blank pages appear, footers slip to the top of the next page etc). I’ve tried the following: saving it as a .docx document, saving it as a PDF, printing using PDF Converter program and then sending as a PDF, and saving as rtf. Each time, it’s fine when it leaves me but isn’t when it arrives with the handful of people who are helping me sort it out (they are using Word 2007 and 2010).

If the worst comes to the worst, I know I can scan all 15 pages and send it, but I just don’t understand how in particular the PDFs can change. So frustrating and I don’t like to be beaten!

wiz-king 21:17 10 Jun 2014

Look at it using the 'pilcrow' symbol- ¶ - and also look for page breaks and line breaks. Also check the paper size - it may be set for foolscap or letter size. I know how your feeling.

exdragon 23:13 10 Jun 2014

Done all that! Paper size is fine too. I've tried reformatting and emailing it again but no joy. Off to bed in a strop now...I just can't understand why it should go haywire the minute I hit the send button. And why the pdf won't keep it's format.

Jollyjohn 12:54 26 Jun 2014

Open the document, check layout, then Export as pdf. Accept default options and save.

in My documents you should have thisdocument.doc and thisdocument.pdf

Ensure you attach the pdf to eMails.

If you don't have the option to export as pdf, download and install LibreOffice and use that.

lotvic 13:00 26 Jun 2014

SPAM from barbara453

FE Informed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?