Problem with DNS Server and Default Gateway

Robester 18:28 18 Jan 2006

Hi there

Ok basically i have tried numerous things to fix this and been suggested mountains but still nothing has worked, so i will be as forthcoming as possible.

I have a home network that consists of 8 computers in 8 different rooms. This is not a wireless network and is done through ethernet adapters.

I have lived in this house for a while and only recently experienced this problem!

All of the rooms have no problems except my own. We all have seperate IP address and the same DNS Server and default gateway number thingys. Which is 10.0.0.1 i believe (not that it matters)

I have a program which tells me that detects whats not working on my network. It repeatedly reminds me that both are offline or not responding.

Programs such as MSN messenger and Limewire will not connect to the internet, however Internet Explorer Works fine.

After some manual work, fidling with random settings then reseting them back to what they were(WE ALL DO IT!!). Then checked my firewall exceptions it was all ok, and then tried with firewall off. (using windows firewall)

I then done some research on the internet and it told me to try Pinging some numbers on Command Prompt. I typed in my IP and it returned fine, then tried my DNS number and it got no reply (my default gateway is the same number as my DNS).

Then i entered some commands, i was told to use these ones

a. REGSVR32 softpub.dll
b. REGSVR32 wintrust.dll
c. REGSVR32 initpki.dll
d. REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll
e. REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll
f. REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll
g. REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll
h. REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll
i. REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll
j. REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll

Dont know what they mean but like a good boy, did as i was told.

After this didnt work i went on my own intiative and tried typing my DNS Server to equal my IP (i was getting desperate!), so instead of 10.0.0.1 i input 10.0.0.183 which is my IP. Also doing the same with my Gateway.

I ran my program, and it told me that everything was fine, and i was ready to use the internet. So i ran internet explorer and it couldnt connect to the internet.

I have also checked my time and date setting. I have also done a system restore to before i had this problem. I have tried un-installing and re-installing the driver, and have tried rolling back the ethernet driver.

On top of this i have tried this certain laptop on a different port and it still didnt run, using their IP addresses. So its definately my Laptop and not the network thats not working

Now i am fresh out of ideas.

Does anyone have any ideas upon what i should do?

Many Thanks

mgmcc 23:00 18 Jan 2006

Presumably all of the networked computers are connected to a router? Is there any reason why you are allocating IP, Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses instead of having them allocated automatically by the router?

The Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses in the computer will be the *ROUTER'S* IP address (presumably 10.0.0.1).

Download and run "WinSockFix" from click here and see if that helps. It will fix corrupted TCP/IP settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?