Problem with dialup download

jimmilk 18:34 16 Jan 2006

Gentlemen
Just got a laptop. Upgraded it to latest Microsoft patches and installed AVG Free ( Skinflint :-))
My first "Fun" project was to install Football Manager 2006. Unfortunatly I cant seem to get the latest patch a massive 72 Mb downloaded (remember I only have dialup). Its going to take around 4 hours but that didnt seem a problem as on my PC the download has always been picked up at the drop out point, not this time however.
I am using a site called "file front" and although using refresh perhaps I am getting a different server.
Should I be installing some helpful software or ticking a box, any suggestions.

PaulB2005 18:41 16 Jan 2006

Get the patches from click here

If you want a Download manager (to allow you download files later or in bits over several days) you can use Fresh Download for free - click here (Note this only works if the server supports Resume - most do)

Stuartli 18:44 16 Jan 2006

Get a mate with broadband to download it...:-)

Watching paint dry is more entertaining than downloading 72MB using dialup...

You could try a download manager such as FreshDownload which I use (suitable for both dialup and BB), which contains absolutely no ads or unwanted items and has a Resume feature if the website supports it.

You can get it from:

click here

Don't forget either than some ISPS have a two-hour cut off with dialup (you just have to redial to resume the service).

Stuartli 18:44 16 Jan 2006

Great minds think alike...:-)

PaulB2005 18:48 16 Jan 2006

Just about to add that.....

VoG II 18:49 16 Jan 2006
  jimmilk 19:05 16 Jan 2006

Gentlemen
As usual from this Forum a good and "crisp" answer.
Sometimes one would rather not impose on friends, I live in a small village on the North York Moors and in some aspects we are still in the first half of the 20 Century.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?