Problem Deleting A File

domtheboy 19:19 24 Nov 2003

Hi chaps

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem file that doesn't want to leave my PC.

I've downloaded an email attachment that was sent to me that has the file extension zip.exe. I have saved the file to my desktop. Having been made aware that viruses commonly hide in files such, I decided to delete it.

However, now when I try to do so I recieve a message saying it is being used by another person/program and that I need to terminate this before it can be deleted.

I've checked Task Manager to see if there are any suspicious programs there running but everything seems to be in order. I'm a bit cheesed off though that this file refuses to delete - does anyone have any suggestions ? Perhaps someone could tell me how to boot Win XP Pro in DOS mode and I could try doing it from there ?

As always, thanks for reading and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

Jester2K II 19:21 24 Nov 2003

Use Autoruns click here to make sure the file isn't being called on Windows Start up. If it is delete the line that calls it.

Reboot and delete it.

or go into Safe Mode and delete it.

domtheboy 19:24 24 Nov 2003

Hi Jester

K, have just tried autoruns and it doesn't appear that the file is being called upon by the startup sequence.

I've also started the Windows in safe mode but the problem persists. Can you think of any other alternatives ?

The Spires 19:26 24 Nov 2003

Do a registry search for the exact file name & delete the reference to it, making sure that the reg ref is the correct one. Reboot & delete in safe mode.

The Spires 19:28 24 Nov 2003

P.S. I find Registry Crawler click here a handy tool.

cycoze 19:48 24 Nov 2003

What is the full name of the file? What was the email subject? this might make it easier to search for more clues and a cure.

For instance ` Shakira.zip.exe ` would probably be the `Lovegate` virus .

domtheboy 21:05 24 Nov 2003

Hi again

I've downloaded the lovegate removal tool from symantec and run it, and my pc doesn't contain the virus. I've also used the Registry Crawler tool to remove all the references to the program from the registry. I then tried rebooting in safe mode and it still wouldn't co-operate.

cycoze 21:29 24 Nov 2003

I was not suggest you had the lovegate virus , just trying to make the point that if you gave us the whole file name , it would possibly help in identifying what it was .

You said the file extension was zip.exe , i assumed this meant the file was named and has a double extension ie:- cycoze.zip.exe , which would indicate something dodgy.

What is the full name of the file?

domtheboy 21:34 24 Nov 2003

Oh - sorry. The filename is appearing as boca.zip.

cycoze 21:37 24 Nov 2003

as in boca.zip.exe or just boca.zip

cycoze 21:38 24 Nov 2003

boca.zip appears to be modem drivers after a quick search .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?