Problem with 'delete' key with Word 2003

250diesel 16:00 24 Jan 2008

Two days ago the delete key on my Microsoft Laser 6000v2 keyboard stopped having any effect when trying to delete selected text or inserted photos when using Word 2003.
It works perfectly with all other Microsoft Office programs & other programs.
I have tried a different keyboard and still get the same (none) result.
Searched Microsoft - but no joy.
Has anybody any ideas, please.
250 Diesel

Sea Urchin 17:05 24 Jan 2008

Try in Word Tools > Options > Edit tab and make sure that "Typing Replaces Selection" is checked then OK etc

250diesel 17:34 24 Jan 2008

Thanks for prompt reply Sea Urchin.
Tried that but unfortunately it makes no difference.
At a total lose because program takes all other key commands.
Wondering if program has got some form of corruption and needs reinstalling.
250 Diesel

Sea Urchin 18:11 24 Jan 2008

You could try the Detect and Repair (probably on Help menu) but you will probably need the Office disk.

Eric10 19:28 24 Jan 2008

Can you delete with the Backspace key?
Can you delete from the right-click menu after selecting?
If it is a corruption then deleting the normal.dot template would be more likely to work rather than reinstalling the program.

250diesel 10:00 25 Jan 2008

Sea Urchin: Thanks, tried that, still no cure.

Eric10
Yes can delete selected text with backspace key. Right click menu does not have delete but I can cut selected text. Also can delete selected text using Edit > Clear > Contents Del.
Could use any of these methods I suppose but after using delete key for so long having to use them, particularly for just this program, will be a bit of a 'pain'.

Eric10 10:31 25 Jan 2008

If you have inadvertently changed a setting or if a corruption has occurred then it will probably be stored in the Normal.dot template.
First make sure your computer is set to "Show hidden files and folders", then locate the Normal.dot template. The location will vary from computer to computer, depending on options specified during the original installation and which version of Windows you are using. However, the file path is most likely C:\Documents and settings\"your username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. Once you have located the file, rename it to Normal.old.

Restart Word and a new default Normal.dot template will be created; if the problem has now gone you can deduce that it was a corrupt Normal.dot template. If this hasn't cured it and you had made any customisations to Word, such as macros or added tools to the toolbars, then you can delete the new Normal.dot and rename the original one back to Normal.dot and you're back where you started.

Sea Urchin 12:48 25 Jan 2008

Would you not rename the Normal.dot template something with the .dot extension - such as oldnormal.dot? Probably showing my ignorance!

Eric10 22:58 25 Jan 2008

It doesn't really matter what you call it since you are only renaming it so that Word does not find it. Since the objective is to prevent Word using it as the master template then it doesn't need the .dot extension.

250diesel 09:28 26 Jan 2008

Eric10
Thank you, following your instructions has solved the problem completely.
Perhaps the next problem I have to solve is how not to need to use the delete key so often - but that's down to me.
Once again thank you.

And thanks also to Sea Urchin for trying to help.

regards to all
250diesel

johnnyrocker 10:32 26 Jan 2008

and a green tick?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?