problem defrag win98

lrhump 15:32 02 Apr 2005

when i try to defrag win 98 hard drive it gets stuck @ 10% goes into aloop- says drive has changed restarting and never completes task. Also recently got memorypartition problem-blue screen. When tried to use trouble shooter from help menue the screen goes white and nothin g happens any thoughtswould be appreciated

bluesbrother 15:45 02 Apr 2005

Either run defrag in safemode or use ctrl+alt+del to close everything except systray and explorer

Gongoozler 15:57 02 Apr 2005

Windows 98 defragmenter is notoriously fussy and slow. Diskeeper Lite is MUCH better, the only negative to using it is that every time you start Diskeeper Lite you will be prompted to upgrade to the full paid-for version, but as long as you don't mind dismissing the prompt box you will find it a lot better and faster. click here

griffon 56 16:00 02 Apr 2005

Hi Irhump,

Make sure any screensaver, firewall and antivirus is off, that you haven't got a printer, scanner etc, connected and on, and that there is no other scheduled background process active. Further to Bluesbrother's advice use the 'Startup' tab in 'msconfig' to stop all running progs except 'Scan registry', 'Systray' and 'Task monitor'. Unless you use scheduled power down when the computer is inactive you can also uncheck 'Load Power Profile'.

Gongoozler 16:00 02 Apr 2005

Re your memory partition problem. How much memory does your computer have, what size hard drive and how much spare hard drive space? Also does the memory partition problem only occur when certain programs are running?

Wak 16:40 02 Apr 2005

Hi, I run win 98SE and defrag a 20GB hard drive (about 1/3 full) in about 3 minutes. I replaced the original defrag.exe file with the defrag.exe file as used in win ME. It's about 10 times faster and more stable. Go to click here, download the newdefrag.zip file and follow the instructions. Of course, you still have to stop anything else from running while you defrag otherwise you get the re-starts.

griffon 56 16:43 02 Apr 2005

P.S. You might also have a virus. Got all the anti-malware?

lrhump 19:43 03 Apr 2005

when using cntl alt delete the above items will not close. Any ideas? What are these?

VoG II 20:14 03 Apr 2005

click here

click here

Manual removal click here

Try Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

kimjhon 20:18 03 Apr 2005

D/load HyjackThis
click here

Run it and paste the Hyjack log here.
click here

zarobian 22:15 03 Apr 2005

Try to defrag in a safe mode. It may jump back once but will carry on thereafter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?