Problem with default setting of spell check

Niggin 13:26 11 Feb 2006

I have a problem with the default setting of the spell check on Outlook. I have been into Tools - Options - Spelling and reset it to English (UK) and on an individual message altered it through Tools - Spelling and Grammar etc, and by right clicking on a word and changing the default language to English (UK). Frustratingly, every new message (or reply) I send defaults the spell check back to English (US).
Any ideas?

Onizuka 16:04 12 Feb 2006

I too had this problem after re-installing Windows and found it equally frustrating. If I remember correctly I cured it thus:
Control Panel – Date, Time, Language and Regional Options – Regional and Language Options – Regional Options. There are 13 different English Options ranging from English (Australia) to English (Zimbabwe). Select English (United Kingdom). This should change everything from Outlook to Word.

palinka 17:43 12 Feb 2006

I've not had this problem but it occurs to me that having changed to UK English there may be an Apply button. If so you need to click it before clicking OK.

Niggin 21:25 14 Mar 2006

Just in case anyone else trips over this issue, I shall add the resolution to the matter.

I eventually searched the Windows help database for 'language' instead of 'spell checker'. this led me to a help file which showed how to alter the default setting which controls the whole of Outlook. Entering through the start menu, and then 'all programs', 'Microsoft Office', 'Microsoft Office Tools'. Then go to Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings'.
This gives the option of choosing the language that defines default behaviour in Microsoft office applications. Changing this to English (UK) resolved the issue.

Thanks to those that tried to assist and I hope that this will assist someone else with the same frustrating problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017