Problem copying home movie DVD

Pineman100 17:47 04 Jan 2010

I run Windows Vista.

A friend has given me a DVD of some home movies that he made over Christmas. He's asked me whether I could make some copies of the DVD for him.

The DVD was created on his Mac (Leopard), using whatever software Apple provide for this purpose.

I've tried using Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010 (from a recent PCA cover disk) to copy the DVD. It first does a quick anaysis and reports that the DVD is OK. However, once it starts to read the disk, after about 5 minutes it reports that it cannot proceed because of a fault at sector XXXXXX (I can't remember the exact number).

I've tried watching the DVD using Windows Media Player, and I had no problems.

Can anyone please suggest a solution to this problem - maybe by recommending an alternative (free) software package to copy the DVD?

Technotiger 17:51 04 Jan 2010

Try this one click here although it has XP in the name, it is compatible with all versions of Windows.

eedcam 18:01 04 Jan 2010

If it plays on a stanalone player then try Imgburn its free click here Make sure you scroll down to the second box for it .Then once installed simply a matter of choosing create image from disc thenif that works choose write image file to disc any problems then see what the log says.

P4ULT 18:58 04 Jan 2010

are these programs safe to use as i have the same problem.

P4ULT 19:01 04 Jan 2010

and download

Technotiger 19:04 04 Jan 2010

Yes, they are.

eedcam 19:11 04 Jan 2010

Imgburn safe as houses

Pineman100 19:14 04 Jan 2010

I'll try those two packages tomorrow, and report back.

Many thanks for your recommendations.

P4ULT 19:52 04 Jan 2010

tried cd burner xp how do you change the file to add music etc on windows dvd maker cos at the moment it wont recognize the iso folder.im stuck with this so any help would be great.

eedcam 22:04 04 Jan 2010

P4ULT that is not the same problem as the original post you should Start a new post as apart from it being Hijacking the original thread you should get a better response .Others will have looked at this thread not got involved and probably wont look again so your query may not get any response.

Pineman100 15:52 05 Jan 2010

Sorry I haven't reported back on your and TT's software suggestions yet. I've been in bed with the dreaded Lergie (and no, that's not the name of a Swedish au pair - unfortunately!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache