Problem with connection from laptop to TV

exeBeast 22:49 26 Dec 2008

Hey there, i have a little problem.

I bought a laptop last month (Toshiba Sattelite) and today i bought a LCD HDTV (Samsung),i wanted to watch use the TV as a larger monitor, after reading some stuff I found out the best solution would be to buy a hdmi cable and connect them. I did it but theres some kind of problem, the only thing it shows to me is the desktop background (wallpaper), but if i move the mouse pointer to much to the right it disappears from the monitor and i see it on the TV, so if i want to watch a video on youtube or stuff, i have to move Firefox to the right on the TV.

I tried to fix it but if i disable "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" then the TV says no signal.

So i wanted to know is there any way so that everything that i do on my monitor is shown on the TV? Or do i always have to drag everything to the TV?

Please help me guys ^^

ambra4 00:33 27 Dec 2008

Where is "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" enable from?

Never heard or use this setting

Once you have connected the VGA cable to the TV you now have to set up the laptop to access the external display port

Using the “FN” key (Function) and the “CRT/LCD” key look at the top of keyboard “F” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows: -

Press once laptop display only

Press again external display only

Press again both laptop and external display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

You have to set the laptop to show both laptop and external displays, if set to external

display only, the display will default back to the laptop display every time you power on

or reboot the laptop

Depending in the size of the TV you will have to adjust the screen resolution for the

display to fit the screen

Right click on the desktop-properties-setting and change the screen resolution to the

correct size

exeBeast 01:23 27 Dec 2008

wow thank you, i didnt know about this FN function, now i learned a bit more ^^ thx

ambra4 02:07 27 Dec 2008

Always glad to help

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?