Problem with connecting wirelessly to internet

Julieneedshelp 00:52 11 Jan 2009

Hi I have just purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router and USB Adapter for my laptop and am with Virgin Media. My aim is to connect my laptop wirelessly to the internet using ONLY my router and modem.

After installation of the router and USB adapter, all signals showed that they communicated with eachother but not the internet. It is only when the ethernet cable is attached to my laptop that I get an internet connection which obviously defeats the object as I want to be able to use my laptop in other rooms without wires!

Any possible solutions would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Julie

brundle 00:55 11 Jan 2009

Turn modem and router off for 1 minute. Switch on modem, wait one minute, switch on router, wait one more minute, try connection.

Julieneedshelp 01:27 11 Jan 2009

Hi brundle, Thanks, I tried switching off and on as suggested but still have same problem and my network connection tells me its connected but also says acquiring network address.

brundle 02:07 11 Jan 2009

That means you're not connected to the router properly. Have you connected to the router (and subsequently) the internet successfully with a wired connection?

Julieneedshelp 02:25 11 Jan 2009

I'm currently on the internet through a wired connection from the router (using the modem and router attached to my laptop)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone