Problem connecting via router

sten1020 22:16 13 Feb 2008

I have Virgin Media Cable, and bought a Netgear WPNB111 router which connects to the cable box in a first floor room, then my PC is downstairs in another room (via 2 walls) and connects wirelessly. However, I often can't get a connection, although my laptop connects ok from the same place! I sometimes finally get a connection if I disconnect the Netgear adaptor a number of times, then the light eventually flashes. Is this an adaptor problem, and would an internal adaptor card be much better?? Thank you in anticipation! Regards, Mike

Kemistri 00:46 14 Feb 2008

"...would an internal adaptor card be much better?"

Quite probably, though not definitely. Your notebook's integral mini-PCI adapter is almost certainly more effective than a small USB adapter, though USBs are sometimes further handicapped by users who install the manufacturer's management software (they often erroneously believe that it is [a] just a driver and [b] necessary) which is typically less efficient than WZC. WZC can and should be used regardless of the format of the adapter.

A PCI card with aerial extension is more expensive than most other formats, but is usually a worthwhile investment. Double-check the encryption compatibility, which always used to be less certain than with USBs due to a higher number of older models in the marketplace -- that may have improved now.

Failing that, use a mains-carried Ethernet link via "Homeplugs". Look for the Dynamodes on Ebuyer, which are cheaper than most (particularly the over priced PCW offerings).

dms05 11:01 14 Feb 2008

Agree about the HomePlug. You'll need a pair (one for the router and one for the remote computer). You can buy 2 for under £50 and they work really well in my son's extensive 3 floor Edwarian House with the Router top right front and the desktop bottom left rear. In the same situation WiFi doesn't even register.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?