Problem connecting Laptop to wireless network

buster99 12:32 29 Dec 2007

I use a wireless laptop for intenet access in the downstairs of my property. Overnight the laptop stopped being able to access the internet. The laptop no longer recognises the internal modem. (This is large scale separate issue with HP on certain models). I purchased an external Linksys USB Network adapter, with the assistance of their call centre this has been successfully installed. My laptop recognises the network from the hardwired PC upstairs and posts an excellent signal strength. However when trying to access the internet through IE - it says the page cannot be displayed, the call centre were unable to resolve the problem - Any ideas pleased as I'm at wits end !!!!!!!!

STREETWORK 17:43 29 Dec 2007

Two things...

1. Did you turn off the internal wireless card, som elappies have a switch or you may need to disable it in device manager
2. Using the adapter to find the network by using its own software is better than using windows wireless service. Turn this of by clicking, start, run, type in services.msc and then scroll down to the WZC, righ click it and select stop.

Now use tha adapters software to connect to the network, you will need to enter the security key when prompted.

buster99 21:51 29 Dec 2007

Thanks for the reply - tried what you suggested but there is no WZC displayed !!!

buster99 21:55 29 Dec 2007

Apologies - found what WZC referred to and try what you suggested with no success. I rebooted the laptop and it found the wireless netwok with no problem and posted an excellent signal strength, but when i click on IE it states the page cannot be displayed - ARRRGGHHH - thanks for the help - any other ideas appreciated

STREETWORK 22:12 29 Dec 2007

Now you need to tell IE how to connect to the network in Tools, Option, Connections, is there anything listed, if yes remove them.

If no,clear all cache, cookies and history and try again.

Also, when connecting the first time make sure the windows firewall of set to 'Off' and disable any anti-virus software running. Once the connection is made and you can see websites re-enable the firewall and anti-virus software...

buster99 22:28 29 Dec 2007

Txs for the reply, tried what you suggested - but still joy - however - how do i find the windows firewall, before the problems i used zonealarm without issue, i'm not familiar with the windows firewall and cannot seem to see if its up and running ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?