Problem Connecting to the Internet - Please Help

buster99 17:39 28 Dec 2007

I use a wireless laptop for intenet access in the downstairs of my property. Overnight the laptop stopped being able to access the internet. The laptop no longer recognises the internal modem. (This is large scale separate issue with HP on certain models). I purchased an external Linksys USB Network adapter, with the assistance of their call centre this has been successfully installed. My laptop recognises the network from the hardwired PC upstairs and posts an excellent signal strength. However when trying to access the internet through IE - it says the page cannot be displayed, the call centre were unable to resolve the problem - Any ideas pleased as I'm at wits end !!!!!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 28 Dec 2007

right click IE - properties - connections tab - lan settings - make sure ALL boxes are unticked - click apply.

buster99 18:11 28 Dec 2007

Txs for the response - no success, this had been tried yesterday but I just double checked again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 28 Dec 2007

check you have the correct security key.

buster99 19:21 28 Dec 2007

I'm no expert but if you mean WEP key then this was also tried, I'm confused as the Laptop seems to be picking up the signal and registering the network name etc but will not allow access. How do I find the security key on the laptop, we tried both secure and unsecure yesterday without success, my only concern yesterday was despite inputting a 10 digit code on the laptop, when i re-entered the screen it had been shortened to 8 - may this have something to do with it (P.S - I can't remember how to access the security code on the laptop - I remember how to set the code etc on the hardwired desktop using router ) Txs

100andthirty 20:32 28 Dec 2007

Just to eliminate it as an issue it would be worth changing the wireless channel. Do this from the router's home page via the wired desktop computer. It's possible that a neighbour has installed a wireless network on the same channel.

(this might be a red herring!)

buster99 10:44 29 Dec 2007

Txs for the latest suggestion - unfortunately no help !!!!!

buster99 10:50 29 Dec 2007

I don't know if this assists answering the problem - If I enter the wireless network connection status box and click on the support tab, and click repair it changes the address type to Automatic Private address and gives an IP address and subnet mask number (No Gateway number), however when i click on repair it states its failed and requests contact with ISP or network administrator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?