Problem with changing folder/file types

nickname999 16:40 01 May 2005

I have windows XP with SP2.
For some reason, windows keeps changing the customisation of my files and folders. For instance, it will change files I have defined as picture type files to music type files. I can change these files back by clicking on file properties and selecting and applying the picture file type option, but windows may later change them back.
It will also change music files to picture files and document files to either.
Windows also changes other files, such as program files to picture files. Again I can change them to document files, but windows will re-set them later to picture files (or sometimes music files).
Windows will also change system files such as the Administrative Tools file to picture type files. These I can't amend as there are no properties available when I right click on the screen.
I've run scan disk a couple of times. I've run system file check. Neither finds anything wrong, nor stops it happening.

Any idea what is causing this?
Any idea how to stop it?
Is it a major fault? The system seems stable, everything works, I just have this annoying problem of having to re-customise files (so I can get sensible options in the file tasks columns and sensible views - windows likes to change document files to picture files and allow me a filmstrip view of the contents).

VoG II 16:47 01 May 2005
  nickname999 18:50 02 May 2005

I may be slow but I don't see why this would cause folder and files to change their file type.
"My pictures" folder for instance insists on being a music type folder (so I get folder options such as play all contents which is silly). I can't customise it because it doesn't give me the option when I right click.

Number 7 19:16 02 May 2005
  nickname999 18:42 03 May 2005

At least I now know it's not something that I'm doing.
I've avoided messing with the registry so far. Looks as if I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017