Problem CD and DVD drives

Eagie 23:21 10 Dec 2003

Having worked perfectly fine for months my CD-RW and DVD drives have started playing up.

If you use them when the computer first starts up they work correctly but after a while they no longer function. Looking in hardware manager they initially look ok but if you scan for changes they both change - their names being replaced by a few letters.

One problem I have had is that I recorded a single track CD and all went fine according to the software. But the CD wouldn't play using the computer and doesn't work in my hi-fi either.

I haven't opened my machine up yet just in case anyone can point to something else first.

Both drives are connected to the same IDE socket on the motherboard and I am using Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Djohn 01:17 11 Dec 2003

Open "My computer" right click on one of the drives and choose properties. From there click on the hardware tab, then highlight the drive, click on properties again and update driver.

Let windows search for the driver, it will come back with "Best driver already in use, click OK and then do the same for the other drive. Re-boot PC and should work OK now. this method seams to re-associate the drives with the drivers. j.

hugh-265156 01:22 11 Dec 2003

or right click each drive in device manager and choose "uninstall"

restart the computer and windows will reinstall the drivers again.

Djohn 01:29 11 Dec 2003

Yep! huggyg71's way is quicker. :o)

Eagie 08:17 11 Dec 2003

Thank you both - I have done this but the problem came back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires