PROBLEM CAUSED WINDOWS DEFENDER TO STOP

MFL 19:22 03 Jan 2007

When I sign in to my account (under XP) I regularly get a message "Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba A problem caused Windows Defender to stop to start the service restart your computer or search Help & Support on how to start a service manually"

Have only recently installed IE7 but Windows defender seemed to be working for a while.

Messages regularly appears so restarting does not appear to offer a permanent solution,

Any ideas.

Jackcoms 19:25 03 Jan 2007

Are you still using the Beta version of Defender?

If so, it will have ceased to work with effect from 31 December.

Un-install and replace it with the final version click here

MFL 19:21 04 Jan 2007

Well I thought that it had come with IE7 but on the other hand I may have in installed it some time ago! Tried to uninstall it but it said the source was not available. The Microsoft site seemed to suggest uninstalling was not necessary for the version I have so I just tried to upgrade. However when attempting to install I got a message that the installation had encountered an unexpected error installing the package. This may indicate a problem with the package. "The error code is 2318"

Jackcoms 19:26 04 Jan 2007

Defender does not come with IE7.

Uninstall the current version of Defender and replace it with the latest release using my link.

If you cannot uninstall it using Add/Remove Program, locate the Windows Defender folder (in C:/Program Files) and delete that.

Then get rid of any leftovers with click here

skidzy 19:38 04 Jan 2007
  MFL 09:12 06 Jan 2007

Thanks for your continued help Jack.

Have manually deleted all the windows defender files except MpShHook.dll - where I get the message 'access is denied'. Have run CCleaner but note that the file is still there. Is there some way I can get rid of this file before downloading the latest version?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?