Problem caused by Microsoft critical update ?

wags 21:50 11 Feb 2004

I have automatic updates enabled (rightly or wrongly) and downloaded and installed the latest 'critical update' from Microsoft yesterday (which the BBC etc have been mentioning as a must have download !).

On starting the PC up again today it just froze on 'windows starting' and after 4 or 5 restarts I got to the Window log on screen, but I couldn't log on. ie the mouse cursor would not change to a hand (if you know what I mean)and I could not click on my logon name/logo. In the end I got into safe mode and did a system restore to the a checkpoint before the Microsoft update...and so far all is well.

Has anyone else had a problem like this ? Do you think it is a problem with the update and my system configurations or is it something else ?

BTW I run Sophos AV which is up to date and I have swept for viruses - all clean.

Many thanks in eager anticipation.

Wags

mobileman1953 21:54 11 Feb 2004

windows crashed on download of update restored to earlier point seems ok now

wags 21:57 11 Feb 2004

you mean you had a problem as well mobileman1953 ?

Djohn 22:03 11 Feb 2004

Mine went in clean and no problems with booting, but when I accepted the re-boot after the download/install [5 updates] the screen froze and I needed to do a re-set.

Tried several re-starts after that an Win. loaded fine but would take 3 minutes to close down. Found a link to help section and a simple registry alteration fixed the problem. Now it closes down in 10 seconds.

I will post the info. if anyone requires it. j.

wags 22:15 11 Feb 2004

Yes please Djohn, I'm sure many ppl would be grateful for that info.

It seems worrying that the MS update has caused (apparently) a few problems. Infact just before typing this, it downlaoded the update again (in the background) but I have told it 'to remind me in 3 days'....just in case !

Help! :D 22:21 11 Feb 2004

Please Tell us more, i havent done the update and i am now very unsure what to do?
Is it worth waiting for them may be to sort it our.

Skeletor 22:27 11 Feb 2004

For what it's worth, I downloaded and installed the update and have had no problems (yet!).

The more I use PC's the more I realise how erratic and unpredictable they can be.

The Spires 22:41 11 Feb 2004

Updated 3 Pc's yesterday on XP Pro without problem. I have only had one issue as far as I know with MS patches a few months ago when an update slowed my Pc down.

SEASHANTY 22:58 11 Feb 2004

Installed the update on both my Medion XP machines with no problems.

gudgulf 23:02 11 Feb 2004

No problems here either (xp pro)

Djohn 23:30 11 Feb 2004

Hope this is of help to you and anyone with slow or long shutdown times in XP Pro/Home.

(1) Start/Run and type

Regedit

(2) Click on OK and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/CONTROL

(3) Click on the "Control Folder"

(4) Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"

(5) Right click on it and select "Modify.

(6) Set to a value lower than 2000

[It may even be set higher than that]

Mine is set to 200.

As in my post above it has reduced the shutdown time from 3 minutes to 10 seconds. Be careful in altering the registry but if you follow the above guide it really is straight forward. This is the first time I've ever done anything similar to this myself. Good luck, hope it helps. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?