Problem with border

sugarbabe 12:21 17 Oct 2006

i uploaded new website at weekend was all working fine. Have made a few changes to font and docutype etc and now found that on the networking page the left hand border shows as too short.

I am using frontpage and looks fine on there have re checked specified height and there is no margins or anything. Cannot work it out!

gibbs1984 13:14 17 Oct 2006

A link would help.

sugarbabe 09:09 18 Oct 2006

sorry click here

sugarbabe 16:00 20 Oct 2006

bump

Lithgow 20:43 20 Oct 2006

First of all - get rid of Frontpage. Then learn how to use css to design your layout. Google for 'free css templates' to give you some idea what can be done.

PurplePenny 20:49 20 Oct 2006

It is just fine in Firefox.

sugarbabe 21:49 20 Oct 2006

In Internet explorer there is about a 1/2 cm gap at top and bottom of left hand border. Checked and re checked code and cannot work out why.

Taran 22:00 20 Oct 2006

First of all, stick with FrontPage.

Those who malign it do so without any clue about its feature set, overall flexibility and power.

It's one of my mainstay tools of the trade and I'd be lost without it commercially. Dreamweaver, GoLive et al are all well and good but FrontPage is every bit as good at most things and far better at some, so you're onto a strong start by having it.

At first glance your table dimensions appear to be different for each page:

network.htm

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="935" height="807">

pcrepairs.htm

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="834">

backup.htm

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="945" height="746">

index.htm

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="834">

That's not going to do anything any favours.

Without knowing exactly what you changed (and why) it's difficult to state how things flew apart, but what we can say is that several pages have completely different instructions about what their width and height should be, which can't be helping.

I suggest you make a new page layout with links pointing to all the other pages and save it as TEMP.htm

Now click on File, Save As, and save TEMP.htm as networking.htm, then contactus.htm and so on, to rebuild the site using a known good page. Fill the new pages with the same text and images as before, without changing dimensions of underlying tables.

You could do it the more efficient way and read the help files on using templates too...

Either way, you will end up with a bunch of pages that share the same physical dimensions.

I'll have a closer look at the entire site source code tomorrow when I have more free time, but I suspect we have an Internet Explorer anomaly coupled with confusing page dimensions.

If you fix page sizes you should choose one that the majority of people can easily see, or choose a flexible page layout that reacts to the viewers screen resolution.

Your page layout is an overly complex nested table structure. You could easily use fewer tables and get the same visual result with more efficient use of rows and columns.

One other thing: you may want to consider more appriopriate file names.

virus.htm is going to get that page bounced to anyone behind a corporate firewall or in the education sector.

How about antivirus.htm or security.htm, and contact_us.htm ?

It can help in search engine indexing as well.

wolfie3000 01:50 21 Oct 2006

Sugarbabe

I know nothing about HTML or building wesites but i noticed that in another thread you were asking for opinions to your websire,

Well as i have no clue about html and the like i feel i can offer an un bias opinion as a general web surfer.

First off i notice on the front page there aint any pictures,
Pictures to me seem to make the site more friendly and welcoming,
Also the links on the front page are just underlined text and give the site an amateurish feel,

I hope you take my comments as positive critisism, Please dont be offended by them.

I wish you success in your bussiness.

Sorry to hijack the thread also i will shutup now.

wolfie3000 02:24 21 Oct 2006

Just had a play around with Frontpage,
I hope you dont mind me doing this but i bunged a small picture in your front page.

click here

Just to demonstrate what i mean about having a picture on the front page of your site.

I have deleted all references to your site from my pc, just incase.

Ok i will shutup now again :)

sugarbabe 18:03 21 Oct 2006

Thanks for your comments, i like what you did with the picture wolfie3000, where did you get the picture from I only have clipart and they all look crap.

Thanks for the help with the page template I will definatley try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone