Problem between nVidia 8800 and AVI DivX codec

Red Devil 12:49 04 Dec 2007

Hi all,

OK, I started a thread recently - click here - about my computer crashing with the Blue Screen of Death whenever I tried to run EVE Online or play AVI videos in Real Player or Windows Media Player.

It would seem that there's an issue between the AVI codec and the drivers for the 8800 series of graphics cards that means that the PC will crash if you have one of these cards and the AVI codec installed.

The reason why I started this new thread is that I was wondering if anyone has heard of this issue and knows of a solution. The old thread has served it's purpose and I think a new one is more appropriate given that I am now pretty sure of what the problem is and am now looking for a solution.

I need the AVI codec installed as I have several hundred hours of video on my PC encoded in this format - 5 years worth of video taken with my video camera including over 100 hours taken at the World Cup in Japan in 2002 alone - and find the prospect of having to recode them using a codec that doesn't crash my card a nigh-on impossible task and - similarly - I doubt that going back to the supplier of my graphics card and telling them that my card is incompatible with 1 piece of software and asking if I can change it to an ATI card instead is not likely to be successful - right?

So, does anyone know of a way to stop my PC BSoD'ing while still being able to have the AVI codec installed?

Many thanks.

SANTOS7 13:00 04 Dec 2007

click here

this may help...

Red Devil 13:07 04 Dec 2007

All it does it point me at downloading the package - DivX v6.7.0.26 - that is causing all the problems in the first place.

But thanks anyway.

SANTOS7 13:19 04 Dec 2007

It was the VLC player that i thought might help, some standalone players work "mysteriously " better than others...

Red Devil 13:21 04 Dec 2007

Reading further highlights a program called FFDShow which, if I've read it correctly, uses a different codec called libavcodec rather than the DivX codec which is used by DivX v6.7.0.26 to decode MPEG layer 4 encoded AVI format videos.

I still think I may have to re-install Windows to purge my system of XviD as everything I've tried to date so far has failed but, once I do I'll install FFDShow instead of DivX and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for the link SANTOS!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?