Problem with .BAK files transferred to new comp'

freaky 21:32 31 Dec 2004

I have a program called Palm Address Book on my old computer. I installed this program on my my new computer.

I then made a copy of the address.bak file contained in the old computer, and transferred it into the blank Address Folder on the new computer.

Problem, the transferred addresses on the newly installed programme are not appearing !
I checked the 'properties'of the Address Folder on old comp, it showed 'open with Microsoft Word for Windows'.
I did the same on the new computer, it showed 'opens with Microsoft Office Word'

The new computer was not supplied with Microsoft Word; instead it had a free 60-day free trial of Microsoft Office containg Word 2003, Excel 2003, Outlook 2003 and PowerPoint 2003. After the trial period you could buy it for £119 inc VAT.

I installed Microsoft Office 2000 on the new computer as I already had it, and it was also installed on my old computer.

On the Properties of the transferred Address.BAK file, if I click on 'open with Microsoft Word' (no other choices are offered) a box appears requesting me to key in th 'product identification for 'Microsoft Office Word'.

It would appear to me rightly/wrongly, that the Palm Address Book Program will not display the transferred addresses uless I initiate the 60-day free trial of Microsoft Office. This I am loath to do.

Would greatly appreciate help/suggestions on this problem.

woodchip 21:47 31 Dec 2004

I do not know how the Program works but most can Export and Import Address's. You need to check Menu for the above

Giggle n' Bits 00:06 01 Jan 2005

I had same problem recently.

Best is to copy & paste your back up of address book WAB file to desktop.

Then open and copy then open you address book and paste in to the screen on the Right Hand Side

Make sure when you select the folder in address book it is highlighted. You will get a prompt to add each contact to the address book.

Best Wishes.

freaky 12:32 01 Jan 2005

Thanks for the reply Bluestar, and a happy New Year to you as well.

I did the following but still have problems: -

(1) I copied/pasted the Address Book BAK.file to the desktop of the old computer.

(2) When I right click on it, and select open, then all the adresses appear (so far so good).

(3) I then copies/pasted ito 3.5 Floppy, and put it into the new computer.

(4)Then I copied/pasted it to the desktop of the new computer.

(5) When I right click on this file it only gives me the option to 'open with Microsoft Office Word' when I try to do this it asks for the product keys!

(6) I cancelled this Box, and copied/pasted the Address Book BAK.file from the desktop into the empty Address Book Folder in the recently installed program on the new computer.

(7) Started the programme, but alas the addresses do not appear.

Not a very good start to the New Year, I hope the next 364 days are better!

Have you any suggestions please ?

freaky 16:10 01 Jan 2005

Hi folks, good news problem solved hurray.

I was able to use the program that contained the Address.Bak file to Export the file to floppy, then I used Import to install it into the programme on my new computer.

Many thanks to those who responded to my post, I will now have a much happier New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?