Problem with AVG free8?

manrow 11:13 07 Oct 2008

On only 1 of my 3 computers AVG8 suddenly announced that the Email Scanner was inactive. Since I couldn't get it to work I uninstalled the whole program and re-installed a new one, but it still gives the same message.

Any ideas on how I switch it on again?

Technotiger 11:26 07 Oct 2008

Open the AVG User Interface and then left-click on Email Scanner.

birdface 12:53 07 Oct 2008

Components.E-mail scanner.Make sure mail Scanner is active and scan incoming messages is ticked.Then press save changes.

manrow 13:17 07 Oct 2008

Neither of these ideas changed anything I am afraid?

In the help section it suggests scanning outgoing email so I turned that on as well.

birdface 13:52 07 Oct 2008

I was just going to ask if anyone scanned outgoing emails as well.As most computers scan incoming mails is it a waste of time scanning the outgoing mail.Now not a fix but if you go to.Tools Advanced settings.Ignore faulty conditions.Tick e-mail scanner.Apply.

manrow 21:46 08 Oct 2008

Has anyone else actually had this problem and solved it?

Sea Urchin 22:04 08 Oct 2008

If you have the downloaded program available in your PC then try installing it again, but use a custom install as per this link and make sure that E-Mail Scanner is ticked.

click here

Sea Urchin 22:07 08 Oct 2008

Ignore the part about removing LinkScanner - just use the E-Mail reference

provider 2 22:38 08 Oct 2008

Which email client are you using?.... eg Outlook Express, MS Outlook, Incredimail, Thunderbird etc.... AVG doesn't scan web mail. It only supports POP3/SMTP and SSL POP3/SMTP email.... AOL's software isn't a POP3/SMTP email client and as such has never been supported... only standard email clients are.

click here

birdface 22:46 08 Oct 2008

Try Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services.Scroll down to AVG8 e-mail scanner and make sure it is set to automatic.See if that helps.

manrow 22:50 08 Oct 2008

provider 2 I use BT/Yahoo own email webmail, and you raise an interesting point about that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?