problem with avast

mbone 19:33 28 Aug 2009

i recently bought a toshiba laptop with mcafee 30 day trial preloaded but as i use avast on another pc and i have never had any problems i decided to download avast which i did to my downloads then deleted mcafee but when i tried to install avast i got to setup langauge then i got this message,there was an error while trying setup process anybody any ideas please.op system vista home basic thanks

Marko797 19:39 28 Aug 2009

did u remove mcafee fully first before installing avast? If not, might be a conflict issue as u shud only have x1 antivirus. Maybe try fully uninstalling mcafee, clean up any remnants with ccleaner (or maybe a specific mcafee removal tool), then dl and install avast free.

rdave13 19:46 28 Aug 2009

Steps to remove McAfee for Vista; click here

mbone 19:50 28 Aug 2009

i have done a system restore for now but will try your suggestions when i get time thanks for your help marko0797 and rdave13

mbone 20:04 28 Aug 2009

marko797 please dont think i am stupid but how can i be protected inbetween removing macafee and dl avast sureley i will get a virus straight away

rdave13 20:18 28 Aug 2009

No. When I get a new PC/Laptop the first thing I do is to look on the desktop for preinstalled security suits. I don't touch the icons simply so as not to 'activate' the preinstalled software. I then go to add/remove and uninstall it/them.
Next I download Avast and register. You'll have the Windows firewall on by default.

tiscalitrev 14:20 29 Aug 2009

mbone
I have also recently bought a Toshiba L350D from Tesco. I have not yet switched it on, but when I do I wish to remove Mcafee and install Avast. Can you keep us posted on how get on with your problem. Also it came with a preinstalled trial of MS Office which I do not want,any problems removing that?

oldbeefer2 14:42 29 Aug 2009

You are most unlikely to pick up a virus just by being on line. It is more likely to happen when visiting a site (particularly dodgy ones). Therefore, there is no problem with uninstalling McAfee and then installing Avast.

DieSse 14:49 29 Aug 2009

Download avast. Unplug from the net. Uninstall McAfee. Install Avast. Recoonnect to net and let Avast update.

At no time will you be unprotected.

ened 15:17 29 Aug 2009

I agree with everything that has been said.

I recently purchased a laptop and the first thing I did was to remove McAfee (and all other pre-installed trials).

I didn't need to use the link provided by rdave13 and it removed without a problem. I notice there is a RED warning on that page. Personally I would ignore it unless you are likely to want to use it in the future, which I definitely am not.

As rdave13 said: DO NOT click on the icons - make your first task the visit to Add/Remove programmes. This advice is especially pertinent if there is a trial version of MS Office installed. I knew someone who tried this and when thr trial ran out removed it and tried to install an earlier version. It made it difficult because the later version had altered the registry.

Before downloading and installing Avast just do a search for McAfee to make sure all components have departed.

mbone 19:27 29 Aug 2009

sorry not answering for so long but i have had other things to sort out but i now have been able to try and sort my problem out i have downloaded ccleaner, removal tool as rdave13 said, and avast then i used remove programs which was ok then removal tool which removed mcafee successful then tried to setup avast which just gave me the same message as before help please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?