Problem after Norton removal (Windows no Disc)

Ive 20:21 28 Sep 2006

After removeing Norton antivirus & firewall 2006 via there online removal tool from my XP Home machine to allow installation of Panda Antivirus & firewall 2007, I now get a box at startup and restart with a red circle and X saying, windows-no disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive and 3 buttons, Cancel, Try again and Continue. The only way to remove it is by clicking cancel about 20 times till it dissappears. What is this box and why is it appearing.Once its gone theres no probs till next startup or restart. I only have a reload disc not XP disc.Any ideas please.

VoG II 20:24 28 Sep 2006

See ig anything obvious is shown in msconfig click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:23 28 Sep 2006

Do you get it in safe mode

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:31 28 Sep 2006

If it does not show up in safe mode,then it could be a hardware driver or a programme that loads on startup thats gone walkies. Use Vogs advice and disable some startup options in msconfig and hopefully you may nail it down. I wonder if Norton still lurks on your machine.

Ive 21:50 28 Sep 2006

I done a restore and got norton back and the box has gone.Then done the norton online uninstall of A/V & FW and lo and behold the box has returned. MSCONFIG has some strange boxes & squigles on one startup prog and 2 have blank startup and command sections but do have locations.

Ive 22:18 28 Sep 2006

May have sorted.Post back shortly.

woodchip 22:26 28 Sep 2006

If you have a XP CD the put it in the drive, stop it loading. Then type at Run SFC /SCANNOW see if that does anything

Ive 22:41 28 Sep 2006

Well done lads. I have de-selected the 2 items in MSCONFIG that were unreadable squares and squigles and left it on selective start up and done a restart and it has now gone.Will now turn off pc and back on again and see what happens.Post back shortly.

Ive 22:49 28 Sep 2006

Yep, seems ok now thanks.Anything else I need to know now its on selective startup.Will my registry checker (registry mechanic)undo what I deselected in msconfig when I run it.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:27 29 Sep 2006

Did you try and remove Norton with add/remove programmes, only their removal tool is for "last resort" application I think.

Ive 21:02 29 Sep 2006

Yes I did but it would not work because it needed the norton disc which I dont have as I originaly paid for and downloaded norton online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone