Problem on 98 boot-up

skydog 10:37 09 Oct 2004

When I boot up my other computer which is running windows 98 my CD rom and CD r/write have gone from the boot up menue???????? Could someone please help me get them back plese

skydog

Graham ® 10:42 09 Oct 2004

Are they shown in Device Manager?

skydog 10:49 09 Oct 2004

thanks for the quick response and yes they are still showing and reported to be working ok

Graham ® 10:58 09 Oct 2004

OK, not sure what the problem is. Are they not working? Do you get an error message?

skydog 12:04 09 Oct 2004

All I get is selected drive not ready????

Graham ® 12:23 09 Oct 2004

I suggest you uninstal one of them in Device Manager. Reboot and Windows should detect it and re-instal the driver.

Diemmess 15:24 09 Oct 2004

You say - "gone from the bootup menu"

Does the computer actually reach the Desktop stage and if so, when does the error - "Not ready" appear?

skydog 18:57 09 Oct 2004

yes it does reach the desktop stage I get the error message when I try to use the CD-rom or R/write drives

VoG II 19:02 09 Oct 2004

So what is "bootup menu"?

Sorry, but I am confused as well.

Does this error occur when you try to read a CD, write a CDRW etc.?

The more information that you can supply, explaining exactly what happens, the better the chance of somebody knowing a fix.

woodchip 19:09 09 Oct 2004

If they are not showing when you boot the Computer, you need a new Ribbon cable if they are both on the same cable. Or as I had, a motherboard IDE socket was faulty

skydog 19:49 09 Oct 2004

sorry if I did not explain myself clearly, they are not showing when I boot up, woodchip could this happen out of the blue???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?