Problem with 1055 Voyager Adaptor

Chas49 21:55 16 Mar 2008

I have a BT HomeHub with three computers getting their internet content by means of this hub.

Trouble recd which coincided with a BT outage for several hours yesterday and this morning. Now, my Vista OS'd desktop is OK (using the 1055 Adaptor), my Laptop (also Vista) is Ok too. The third computer, an old Evesham with XP OS will not, despite having given 5 weeks untroubled service. I have found, by substitution that the 1055 adaptor used on the Evesham will not work when put in the Vista Desktop and when I put it back in the Evesham it displays as not being connected. I have rebooted after this and it is still shown as unceonnected.

The question is, if I have to replace this 5 week old adaptor, bought through BT, is there anyone who is successfully using a different Adaptor with the hub. I would imagine that I should contact BT about the, apparently, dud - anyone know what number to contact the correct department - you know what a nightmare it is - especially for people who are a lot older than they will confess too g>

Ashrich 22:11 17 Mar 2008

I would think that just about any wireless adapter should work , the BT branded one isn't anything special .

Ashley

Chas49 01:15 18 Mar 2008

I have no idea where the posts from Fruit Bat and Woodchip have disappeared to - but I do thank them for their input.

I'd like you to know that, after a couple of hours sleep (I am getting on a bit <g>) I had another go at it. This time I uninstalled then reinstalled all software in the hope that the adapter would work - and it did.

One thing I have to do now that I didn't before is click on the taskbar icon to connect - it's always been ready connected upon switch on. But what the heck - it's working - now I can get the teenager off my back. Thanks all.

Chas49 01:30 18 Mar 2008

Many apologies for actually creating two posts, 1 here and the other in the Helproom. Thank you Ashley for your answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?