Probably A Silly Question But...

  Mac70 17:00 03 Jul 2007
Locked

Got myself a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard a few weeks back and the batteries ran out on the mouse after a week. I thought it was over use but when I put the new batteries in today I noticed the optical light came straight on, even with everything else switched off. (The reciever is attached to a KVM switch.)

There's nothing in the "manual", so how do I switch off the mouse without having to remove a battery every time?

  ventanas 17:03 03 Jul 2007

Leave it alone and it will go off by itself. It will resume if you pick it up. The old batteries must have been past it. I have two Logitech Wireless mice and keyboard setups, and I change batteries very rarely.

  crosstrainer 17:05 03 Jul 2007

I had exactly the same problem with my cordless mouse...chewed through batteries at an expensive rate of knots....So, I have disconnected the cordeless mouse, and gone back to a corded model.

The weird thing is, the cordless keyboard which I am still using has a huge battery life. It must be that mouse motion requires more power than keystrokes.

  Mac70 17:08 03 Jul 2007

They were brand new batteries. Could be a faulty mouse, I did buy from Tesco. Ill leave it on something glass to be sure the light goes out.

  Quiet Life 17:21 03 Jul 2007

I used rechargeables in a creative mouse which (2x1500ma) lasted about 2 weeks. certainly seemed to use power even if not moved. Went back to a corded one in the end.

  Mac70 17:36 03 Jul 2007

I tried it but the light just dims and flickers, doesn't go out properly. Looks like I'll just have to keep removing the battery as my corded mouse is a USB and the KVM switch is PS/2. I cant be bothered changing the mouse from box to box all the time.

  crosstrainer 18:01 03 Jul 2007

Corded ps2 mouse from Tesco's the one I got (three button, scroll etc) £2.45... canr go wrong. Also the light on the mouse (on mine anyway) indicates that the batteries are failing...best I ever got was about 10 days use. the only other way around it is to buy an (exoensive) rechargeable mouse that sits in a cradle when not in use, connected to a mains charger

Get one of these.

click here

  interzone55 20:45 03 Jul 2007

I've had a couple of logitech cordless mice and normally I got a good few months out of decent alkaline batteries.

Do you have a proper mouse mat? Ive found from experience if the mouse is on a shiny surface the sensor can be triggered by changes in light / shadows etc which drains the batteries quite quickly.

I have a trust mouse at the moment and when this goes into sleep mode I have to press a button to wake it.

  Mac70 20:47 03 Jul 2007

Yeah, I have a proper mouse mat. It's not really a big problem pulling the battery out. Just need to slide the top off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?