Probable virus stopped both PCs

researcher 22:09 16 Jan 2006

Both PCs windows XP, broadband connection.
Symptoms:
PC1 & 2 - broadband router, all lights OK but no connection
PC2, strange checkerpatern over screen right from startup. PC almost gets to log-on screen and then powers down. Got into boot up screen and all seemed OK in there. Re-started and got into safe mode (checkered pattern still there)and tried system restor, it restored but nothing changed. When go out of safe mode PC powers down

PC1, tried system restore and got Broadband connection back - so now can ask for help. All seems fine on PC.

Skyver 22:26 16 Jan 2006

Forget the machine that's not working for now, get this one sorted and apply the same ideas to the second.
How old is the PC, what OS are you using, do you run anti-virus, antispyware software, firewall, have you changed or fitted any hardware, or installed new software recently? Any blue screens or random crashes before these problems?

researcher 22:34 16 Jan 2006

Windows XP as above. PC1, all working fine now and have tried the same on PC2.

Both run same McAfee firewall, anti-virus. Have run Spybot S&D plus Adaware and apart from cookies they found nothing.

No new software loaded, no random blue screens or crashes. One moment fine, the next not working.

Skyver 22:42 16 Jan 2006

Is your broadband via USB or RJ45 connector?
Take a look in the event log for the working machine and see if there are any yellow or red markers.Start menu/run, type `eventvwr.msc`

researcher 23:03 16 Jan 2006

RJ45. In event viwer:
Application: quite a lot of red (nview error)and yellow (userenv) for the OK PC., - but there have been these way back as well.

Security: some failure audits (PC log on sort of thing)

System: again some red (service control manager) and yellow (NwinkIpx) that also go back a while

Nothing stands out (to me) from the above.

Skyver 23:10 16 Jan 2006

NView is to usually do with NVidia graphics - do you have NVidia cards in the machines?
Userenv has appeared in every event log I've ever seen too, less of a problem.

researcher 23:24 16 Jan 2006

Yes, but this PC is fine.
Logging of for tonight, but.....
Can I down load AVG onto a CD and then run it on the problem PC? The MacAfee anti-virus did not find anything.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Skyver 23:31 16 Jan 2006

AVG (just updated in the past 24 hrs; click here) You can install it but not run it directly. I use F-Prot for that but it takes a bit of faffing about to get it working from a command prompt (ie before Windows is loaded at all) which is the ideal situation.

Skyver 23:35 16 Jan 2006

It's possible \Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avg.exe can be run from DOS, worth a try if you create a boot disk and you are running FAT32.

p;3 00:01 17 Jan 2006

just a point, before you try to; you cannot have two installed AV programs on the one machine as I beleive they will conflict:)

Skyver 00:05 17 Jan 2006

Agreed. OK to run a DOS scanner but XP will complain if you do that from Windows itself, has to be from a floppy or bootable CD/USB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?