'Pro' versions of AntiVirus-really that good?

buel 23:45 13 Mar 2010

Hi,
I know this sounds like a idiotic question but i currently use AVG, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes free versions and i was wondering just how effective the paid-up versions really are?
Please can i have your opinions?
Many thanks!

Belatucadrus 00:11 14 Mar 2010

It depends on the program in question, most of the freebies are slightly cut down versions of the Pro variant. You'd need to look at the websites to see exactly what the differences are and then decide if you want to pay the extra. In the cases of AVG and avast! the differences are fairly minimal, but the Pro version of SuperAntispyware has the real time cover that's absent in the free version so there may be some advantage there.
The core scanning engines on the free and Pro versions are usually the same, so unless you're a commercial user who's not eligible for the free license the coverage offered by the freebie is more than adequate.

northumbria61 00:15 14 Mar 2010

I don't think it sounds like an idiotic question - I use the FREE versions of SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes but I have AVG Full Internet Suite licence for 3 computers (I have used AVG for several years now) - it is a personal choice - other people have different views.

The paid versions of the other two do have more features - it all depends on your needs.

birdface 06:42 14 Mar 2010

Or the full version of Malwarebytes is a one off payment.
I would advise anyone to have the the paid-up versions of one of their Anti-Malware-Spyware programs just for the full time protection that they offer.
I would say most attacks come when Browsing and with full time protection you have less chance in getting infected.

buel 07:12 14 Mar 2010

Thank you for that, that does help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017