Printing problem with Word Office 2000

Star5 11:21 09 Feb 2003

My Lexmark X73 all-in-one will not print from word - office 2000. I can print a test page and I can print from wordpad but when I try to print from word it sends the info and says printing complete but no pages are printed.

Have I loaded the wrong driver? Although when I loaded the driver it seemed the correct one.

I just installed it Friday night and it prints really fast and the quality of print is great. Am I overlooking something simple? My os is ME. The scanner/photocopier work fine.

Gongoozler 11:29 09 Feb 2003

Star5, if you open a Word document and select File - Print..., does the dialog box indicate the correct printer, and if you select the Advanced button do you get the correct settings.

Star5 11:36 09 Feb 2003

Thank you for your quick response Gongoozler. Yes the correct printer is indicated and all the settings seem to be correct.

1st RHA 11:36 09 Feb 2003

right click on your printer and set as default, a small tick should appear with it as it is robably being sent to a bifferent device, maybe a fax program.

Star5 11:40 09 Feb 2003

Thank you 1st RHA, I checked this out and it is my default printer.

1st RHA 11:45 09 Feb 2003

restart computer and reinstall, though this would indicate a printer prob rather than a problem with program association, perhaps uninstall word and reinstall would be more appropriate.

Forum Editor 11:51 09 Feb 2003

and it would be worth altering the way the application sends the data to the printer. You can do this in the printer properties dialogue - try setting it to send the the data direct to the printer, i.e. not to start printing as soon as the first page is sent.

This is a not uncommon problem with Word - see how you get on.

Star5 11:53 09 Feb 2003

Thanks 1st RHA, I think I might uninstall printer 1st and if that does not work then I will try uninstalling Word.

Do I have to completely uninstall Office 2000 to do this or can I just remove Word on its own.

Star5 11:59 09 Feb 2003

Thanks FE I will try your suggestion 1st. If this does not work I will try out what 1st RHA has suggested.

Thank you all and I will get back when I've tried these out.

star5

Star5 12:19 09 Feb 2003

Sorry FE I can't seem to find the option to change the way data is sent.

While I was looking for this I noticed that in Wordpad/scanner/photocopier then select print it says - Status, default printer is ready. But in Word 2000, select print it says - Status, idle.

Thank you
star5

AndyJ 12:42 09 Feb 2003

Have you tried looking under the compatability tab in Word. It's under Tools/Options. Also, have you tried a different font?

You don't say if the blank pages being thrown out are exactly the same number as the document and if there's a graphic?

Incidentally, it's unlikely in your case, but a faulty power supply can cause the symptoms you describe. Just in case, if you're using a surge protector or multiway adaptor, try plugging straight into a wall socket.

I also once had a similar problem with a USB printer. Plugging it into a different USB port cured all. Incidentally, if it is USB, does it recommend you install the driver with the USB plugged in or out?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?