Printing and pdf problems in IE7

Richard Weldon 13:24 19 Mar 2007

I recently found I'd lost the ability to print web pages and open pdf links in IE7. After some experimentation I've found the problem only occurs after installing the recent MS update KB928090, a cumulative security update. Has this been experienced by others, and is there an antidote?

anskyber 13:31 19 Mar 2007

Have you tried updating your pdf reader?

I have stopped using Adobe reader in favour of Foxit reader and it works perfectly. Importantly it is also a very small file when compared with Adobe reader.

Richard Weldon 14:51 19 Mar 2007

Many thanks for your response.

I did try updating but couldn't uninstall ver 7.0.8 because "this patch package could not be opened" - whatever that means! I tried all the tricks on the Adobe website, but to no avail.

I will try Foxit reader. Hopefully I'll be able to re-associate .pdf to it.

Richard Weldon 17:18 19 Mar 2007

I've installed Foxit reader, and that works well. I can open and print pdf's in web pages. But I'm still unable to print web pages themselves.

Any thoughts on further action would be appreciated.

Richard Weldon 10:44 28 Mar 2007

Foxit works well. I can open and print pdf files including those imbedded in web pages.

But with KB928090 installed, I cannot print web pages. So in my frustration, I have uninstalled it and will wait to see if Microsoft can come up with a solution. Thank you to all who looked and pondered - I will now close this thread.

john bunyan 15:48 28 Mar 2007

When I had a problem with installing Adobe Reader 8, I had to manually uninstall earlier versions. This involved editing the Registry. There is a technicl note - ID: kb400654 "Troubleshooting .."
on the Adobe website. click here. I also found that "Bigfix", if you have it, needs a file deleting for ie7 - this is on the Bigfix website.
My Adobe reader is now ok on web pages but it took a lot of time to sort out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?