printing only red

lakeman 11:50 04 Dec 2009

i have a strange problem, i have a lexmark 2470 usb printer and changed cartridge (number 1), tried to print and only red was printed , tried a few fixes within the software , no luck,took the cartridge back, got a new one , same thing, tried two different lexmark printers which i knew worked ok, same thing , tried a canon pixma which works fine and same reasult,im running vista and was wondering if there is a setting somewhere that is causing this problem

Sea Urchin 12:14 04 Dec 2009

Do you mean that the whole page is printing in red, or that just the red parts of the page are printing?

lakeman 13:00 04 Dec 2009

what should be printing , ie whatever the pic is , even the test pages , or nozzle check utility, i cant think its the pc or vista but ive tried three different printers and not all the same make ,that i know are working, the pixma is my next door neighbours, he showed me it working then installed it on my pc, same result only red

Graphicool1 13:35 04 Dec 2009

You don't say what system you're running.
How old etc,.
Have you recently reinstalled Windows?
If so did you install the MOBO Chipset?
Did your printer use to work ok?
Perhaps you need to update your graphics card driver.

lakeman 13:49 04 Dec 2009

i have just gone from xp to vista but vistae ports no knowm problems, 2006 build , packard bell , intel chip 3ghz, 3/4 gb ram, didnt instal mobo chipset because vista didnt report it, printer did work fine in xp, vista did rteort tho that a video upgrade would be benificial but not urgent

Sea Urchin 14:08 04 Dec 2009

As you can see from this Google search this is quite a common problem with all types of printer. You certainly should install the Vista driver/s for the printer.

This problem usually seems to occur after changing ink cartridges, and often reinstalling or replacing the black cartridge seems to help the colour problem.

click here

dasli 14:14 04 Dec 2009

mmm...useful info...

lakeman 14:34 04 Dec 2009

and i thought i was alone, thanks for that link it sheds new light on the matter but no cure it seems, all was ok with xp, strangely tho the printer has worked in vista but stopped , then reinstalling the printer and updating the driver to a vistas one and putting new cartridges in not cure that., why is the problem seemingly only with the red ink, at least it is in my case, why wont the blue and red jets which i know are clear not work.

lakeman 15:28 04 Dec 2009

ok ive updated the latest vista driver from lexmark it says my printer should be compatible with vista , still the same. my next question now is if i buy a new printer thats says vista compatible on the box will i have the same problem because some of the guys on the link supplied previously by sea urchin seem to have relatively up to date printers, or is it back to xp..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?