Printing on network - problem pc

grant_02 17:23 25 Jan 2008

i have a small office network setup with 6 pc's connected to a Dell server, with printer connected directly to the server. Been operation for over a year with no probs until last week. One morning only one PC on the network could print - limited support in the office so basic instruction was to reboot the server and see if that fixed things. It did partially, so that all PC's could now print except for the one that did work! It has full network access for files etc and works normally for all things except printing.

the PC can still see the printer on the network and i have re-installed print drivers etc with no joy. XP's problem solver runs out of ideas!

When you try to access 'Print Preferences' from the PC to see the network printer setup XP always crashes. (Properties displays no problem)

Printing from applications gets varying degrees of success - sometimes it looks like its printed but does not appear in print que, other times it comes up with 'can't find printer message' and when we are using Sage it sometimes can't get to print preview stage.

can anyone help?

HV 19:18 05 Mar 2008

I have recently purchased a refurbished HP Desktop PC which came with XP Media Centre pre installed.

When I click on the media centre icon the screen blanks out and the only way I can get it back is by using task master to end the application.

When the task master dialogue box comes up the media centre setup screen appears but wherever I click on the screen other than the task master dialogue box, the screen again goes blank.
I would appreciate any help that readers might be able to offer.

recap 19:55 05 Mar 2008

Please open your own thread.

grant_02, navigate through 'My Network Place' to the server on the XP machines. Double click the server icon and right click the printer then select 'Connect'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?