printing off a network

Madpad_001 17:52 12 Apr 2004

Hello,
I have my home pc (running xp Home) and my Laptop (Also on xp home) connected together usinf a cross over cable. I can access the internet fine on the laptop (The home pc has the modem on it) but i can not access any files via the network and can't use the printer that is connected on to the home PC. I used the network wizzard to set very thing up.I also have installed the printer software onto my laptop. So I am at a total loss!!! Can any one help me.

bremner 17:56 12 Apr 2004

Have you checked to see that the printer is shown as 'Shared' on the machine it is connected to?

anon1 17:58 12 Apr 2004

You will also need to set the files to share or the drive if you wish to share all of it.

anon1 17:59 12 Apr 2004

a thought if you are not sure how to it is simply right click the drive/file and choose sharing and security.

Madpad_001 18:00 12 Apr 2004

I have my C drive shared, but did not know that had to tell printer as well

Madpad_001 19:11 12 Apr 2004

I have tried to reinstalled the printer software onto my laptop but it says I do not have access to my network. I am lgged on as the adminstrator for both systems and the internet works fine on my laptop. So what else am i doing wrong??
PS the printer has been setup as a shared printer & the both C: drives are setup for sharing.

anon1 19:15 12 Apr 2004

Do you have both computers in the same workgroup eg "home"

Madpad_001 19:17 12 Apr 2004

Yes my workgroup name is the same for both computers

bremner 19:28 12 Apr 2004

Have you added the printer to the laptop as a network resource?

ie Control Panel > Printers > Add Printers and then chosen "add network printer

Madpad_001 19:40 12 Apr 2004

I am still anable to access my main PC via the network it says the following :- home (name of network) is not accessable you might not have access to this network

anon1 19:44 12 Apr 2004

try using start/search-computers or people and see if you find it that way. I had a similar problem once and that solved it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?