Printing digital photo's DIY or highstreet?

zx81 15:17 23 Jul 2003

Hi all,

Having created a hugh photo collection the wife now what's them printed! Therefore if i use a Inkjet printer, will the photo quality last compared to 'normal' photo's, or is it best to go to a highstreet store with the memory card?

Also Can anyone please recommend a good colour printer for under £100, or am I dreaming!!!

thanks for your help.

anchor 15:23 23 Jul 2003

You can get a pretty good colour printer in this price bracket, BUT don`t expect to have photo quality results.

The latest Epson photo printers, used with their inks and papers, claim to have life of 25 years.

click here

brambles 16:29 23 Jul 2003

I thought if I bought a really good printer I could print mine & the family requirements. Although I had a Canon S820D it was not fast enough when I was lumbered with 144 daughters photos taken in Dubai.

I created an album in click here & then uplifted the whole collection there. By making the album shared any family member can be authorised to see the photos. The most important thing is that you will not get better photographs than from Photobox. Our 'amateur' printers cannot compete with their 'professional' ones. They are good.

If you order by 2pm on say Monday you will have receive your prints by first class post on Tuesday.
Just sign up & try - you won't be disappointed BUT you have to be patient UPLOADING the images

brambles

Confab 18:32 23 Jul 2003

I use Bonusprint's online service. Its very good and can be done from the comfort of your pc! The prints are excellent and cost about 15p each (i think). Its better if you have a broadband connection as uploads can be slow on dial-up. Give them a go and see what you think.

click here

Confab

Pidder 18:39 23 Jul 2003

Can I ask anyone who knows - how are digital prints done commercially? Are they printed by inkjet or laser, such as we do at home, or are they done by a proper photographic process? Just curious.

Confab 18:42 23 Jul 2003
  Pidder 18:51 23 Jul 2003

Confab - Thanks - I have bookmarked for further reading. P.

y_not 18:53 23 Jul 2003

I guess your wife wants to view the photos?

I tend to burn all my pictures to DVD, however you can always burn them to SVCD using something like DVD Picture Show (don't be fooled - it handles DVD, SVCD & VCD formats).

For a trial download click here

The programme costs about the same as a pack of ink cartridges and for the same again you can almost buy a DVD player (Curry's last weekend offered at £37.95).

Sit back in front of the TV and watch your pictures, background music, titles and all stored on a CD - what more could you ask for??

I know it won't suit everyone but for a free trial download, chances are your DVD player is compatible with SVCD's, and an excuse for a few hours at the PC it might be worth considering.

cagey 20:25 23 Jul 2003

I'll note this one

rins36 20:56 23 Jul 2003

i have printed my pics using an Epson 830U printer, i had prints done via a Jessops shop & I could not see any difference in the quality of print.

If u print at home u can play around with the pics and not just get bog standard 6x4 or whatever prints the shop can do, u can use clouding or whtever around the pic to make it different to normal pics

I would personally go for home printing with Epson 830U printer or a photo quality printer

Confab 21:05 23 Jul 2003

You can do whatever you want to the digital images before sending them to be printed. The file that you send to your printer can be sent to a printing company as well - they don't care what you want to print. If you want to add clouding or you want to edit your images before sending them off then that's up to you. Also they can print in a wide variety of formats and materials - something that you would find difficult to do at home. The inks and papers used by commercial companies should be much more colour fast than the ones used for home printing.

I remember reading somewhere that the printers the commercial companies use can cost over £250,000.00. so there must be some improvement on your standard ink-jet.

But given all I've said above at the end of the day it horses for courses and if it works for you then fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone