printing costs...

nick_j007 17:18 19 Mar 2007

Hi all.

I'm self employed and do a reasonable amount of printing at home on an HP psc2110, I do anything from 60-100 sheets per week, most of it is black text. The ink refills are not cheap, but am I as well to get this printing done at my local Staples for example?

I often drive past so it's convenient enough...but is it that much cheaper...if at all?

Thanks

Nick

Bagsey 17:29 19 Mar 2007

Have you had a look at this site for cheaper ink carts.
click here

Diemmess 17:38 19 Mar 2007

When I bought an Epson 5800 several years ago I had no chance of seeing a demo. Laser printers were for office work and therefore not readily viewable in the "Plastic" so to speak.

Things are different now, but if you don't need colour for most of what you do, a cheapish laser is much much more economic.

MAJ 17:39 19 Mar 2007

Have you thought about getting a laser printer? It works out cheaper in the long run if all you print is text documents. Check out the PCAdvisor magazine for recommendations and comparative prices.

Pineman100 18:50 19 Mar 2007

I refill my own cartridges with ink from click here. I reckon you can do several refills before the print quality starts to deteriorate significantly. The cost is a fraction of the price of a new cartridge.

nick_j007 19:50 19 Mar 2007

Thank you all. Well, I do also print 6x4 photos, and it does a pretty good job of these. So I am reluctant to change machines just yet.
On my reports I like to place my logo on them in colour...is that possible with a laser printer?

I went to Staples on the way home and it seems as though prices are not cheap...

Qty 30-249 (black) = 8 pence per sheet.
Qty 5-49 (colour) = wait for it...65 pence per sheet!! I thought she was joking at first.
~~~~

Bagsey, those prices are good! I have been using tonezone up until now. 56 cartridge would save me £2.00, the 57 £3.00. Pennies in it for the 58 photo.

The non original ones are a lot cheaper still saving £3.00 on 56, and £9.60 on 57 over non originals from tonezone.
I have never used non original, but I'm tempted at these prices...I expect I won't notice the difference (?)

Not sure if I have the time to go down the self refill route...though I shall follow your link thanks Pineman.

Nick

wjrt 19:59 19 Mar 2007

click here

prices include delivery

nick_j007 20:10 19 Mar 2007

Blimey. Cheaper still!

Nothing in it for the non original, but the originals are a few pounds lower. Many thanks indeed. I'm more inclined to stay with the set up I currently have and enjoy these low prices. Printer is still going well tbh.

Thanks again,

Nick

Diversion 20:28 19 Mar 2007

Here's a nifty little program I use, you can cut the ink flow down by 75% if you are mostly printing in black. click here

nick_j007 21:25 19 Mar 2007

Nifty indeed!
Have downloaded the free trial and will have a go. It's printing for me now!

Thank you.

Bagsey 08:29 20 Mar 2007

I use Choice Stationary Compatible Carts. and have done for years. They give free postage which makes them even cheaper AND the guarantee your printer against damage by their cartrdges. Every now and again they have extra cheap offers and that is when I do my stocking up for the year. I was a self filler of HP carts for many years whilst teaching but never was very successful with colour carts. My wife put a stop to that though after a disaster on a carpet:-((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?