Printer/Scanner/Copier install error

TommyRed 22:11 18 Nov 2003

My friend has just installed a HP 1200 PSC but kept getting an error up. I went round and managed to get it to print ok but a script error (sorry didn't write it down) kept occuring during scanning, though the results where visible. I think it may have been a corrupt install as there should be 5 icons on the desktop and there are only 3. Thought about uninstalling and re-installing the software but his CD-ROM drive just kept ejecting the CD, and others we tried also. Two questions: is his CD-ROM drive on the way out? it's about 6 years old, and am I on the right track with the HP install? Thanks TR

Diodorus Siculus 22:29 18 Nov 2003

Well, an option may be to download the latest drivers from the hp site and try them.

If the CD-ROM drive is 6 years old, is the PC the same age? That could well be the problem. What about the OS?

TommyRed 22:47 18 Nov 2003

98SE but it has't had any AV or anything on it since new, ran Spybot and Ad-Aware they found about 300 nasties, which I didn't think was bad considering the time. I need to do a scandisk and De-frag next time I'm that way. I'm sure the CD when it worked for him said he had the latest drivers. I'll check that as well, when I can get the CD-ROM drive to work. TR

TommyRed 23:04 19 Nov 2003

The update is he got a CD-ROM cleaner which allowed him to uninstall the original HP installation. It now transpires that he followed the instructions for a Mac not a PC. I re-installed it and then ran a print off of Belarc Advisor, this worked fine but scanning a photo yet again produced an error. This was 'Internet Explorer Script Error' An error occurred on this page.
Line: 274 Char:4 Error: object expected Code:0 URL: file://C:/Program Files/Hewlett-Packard/Digital Imaging/Scan/Scan.htm
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page Y/N
Belarc Advisor also said he only has 64Mb of RAM which is the minimum requirements for this all-in-one machine. Any more ideas on a solution most grateful. TR

TommyRed 23:21 19 Nov 2003

bump

BarryKeith 00:23 20 Nov 2003

Priority would be to get more RAM, then see what else is needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017