printer/scanner communication problem

accosnr 21:30 30 Sep 2003

before i upgraded my pc, i had my parallel printer connected to the computer and my scanner then connected to the printer and both worked fine. since the upgrade and having reconnected the printer and scanner in the same way as previous, i can no longer get the scanner to work. any ideas what may be wrong?

MAJ 21:37 30 Sep 2003

What did you upgrade to/from, accosnr. Did you install new drivers for either the printer or the scanner or both?

woodchip 22:01 30 Sep 2003

No, he as got to have changed the motherboard. As I did the same years ago you will not now get it to work that way, you can get a parallel switch so you can change from one to the other about £7 or £8 from a comp fair plus you need cables to suit.

woodchip 22:04 30 Sep 2003

Or if it's still got an ISA slot on the motherboard you can buy a ISA parallel card from PCworld for about £10 a PCI Will cost about £45 so it would not warrant the cost

accosnr 22:09 30 Sep 2003

MAJ
windows 95 to windows 98 sec ed. 300 processor to pentium 3. Old hard drive plus a new one. I have reloaded the drivers for both, the printer will work but not the scanner.

MAJ 22:15 30 Sep 2003

As woodchip says, accosnr, it probably wont work that way anymore, Windows likes to be in constant contact with it's peripherals and they with it. The scanner and the printer will be fighting with eachother to have access. Try attaching them one at a time see if they work. Your scanner will probably need updated drivers for Win 98.

PS Well done on the upgrade.

accosnr 22:42 30 Sep 2003

Thanks, MAJ and woodchip, for your advice. I'll try your suggestions and see how we go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?