Printers for Vista

Ronnie268 21:53 26 Oct 2007

I would like to buy a printer for my new Vista computer. It is not wireless and I have a budget of £50. Can you help me. It must be an all-in-one

Ronnie268 21:38 28 Oct 2007

Apologies for my abrubt message.I always seem to be in a rush these days. Will post more soon. Thanks, Jonathan

interzone55 21:46 28 Oct 2007

I think you'll find pretty much any printer currently available will work with Vista.

If the manufacturer doesn't supply a driver, the OS will have a generic one that works.

Take a look at the Epson D92 or Canon IP2500, both can be bought for around £40 if you shop around

Ronnie268 21:58 28 Oct 2007

Thanks very much. The Computer's a Compaq SR5129. Do you know if they have borderless photo printing and a good scanner, as these are high on my list of priorities? Would it be better to buy a wireless card to head off any later Vista problems? Also, a preview screen and card slots are a must. Do these fulfill?
Thanks greatly.

Stuartli 23:27 28 Oct 2007

You are probably asking too much on a budget of £50 - this is probably the cheapest:

click here

Taff™ 07:13 29 Oct 2007

I agree that your budget is insufficient. I always question why people want an all in one (Printer/Scanner/Fax) - if space is a premium, fair enough but these days how many people use faxes? You can fax from your computer anyway. The scanners are never as good as a a stand alone model and the killer is always the cost of the ink cartridge replacements. Lexmark are very expensive anyway. Check the price of a replacement set before you buy - I reckon that you`re looking at about £30 for a tri-colour and a black.

If you go for a printer with separate ink cartridges you`ll save money because you wont be wasting ink when just one colour has expired. This Canon is an excellent buy and was PC Advisors Best Buy last February click here It doesn`t have a preview screen but produces excellent borderless prints and can print directly onto CD`s & DVD`s. Review click here

click here for individual compatible ink cartridges. A complete set of 5 will cost you less than half the price of the Lexmark. I use the earlier model IP4000 but several friends have this model and they have been very pleased with the results.

Ronnie268 17:37 29 Oct 2007

Fax is not important - point taken about the ink cartridges

Ronnie268 17:38 29 Oct 2007

Unfortunately don't hav wireless

Ronnie268 17:41 29 Oct 2007

Mind you, if you shop around for the Lexmark, you find it for about £55, so not too much over budget.

woodchip 17:49 29 Oct 2007

Nearly any printer but not Lexmark Vista does not like. No Drivers

Ronnie268 19:14 29 Oct 2007

Do you mean only Lexmark work? Or only Lexmark doesn't Work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?