Printers not responding to Windows programs.

Connaught 14:31 07 Jan 2004

Printer Problem.

I operate Win98SE and have 80GB HDD and 2 X 40GB HDD. There is an 800MHz CPU and all seems to be fine.
I have two Printers – an HP Laserjet 6L connected through the LPT1 input and an HP Deskjet 930C connected through a USB socket.

For almost three years these have worked well with windows and programs running with windows ie Word. Suddenly today when trying to print, there is no printer in the selected bar although they appear when scrolling. Nonetheless, when making a selection, I am told that it cannot print and I am guided to windows troubleshooter after trying to print a test page. This was tried at Control Panel\Printers then file menu\ properties then Print test page. The troubleshooter problem selections are irrelevant so that was useless.

I have tried unplugging and replugging. rebooting the computer, removing the devices and rebooting. They are properly connected and through the HP Toolboxes I can print good test pages with both printers.

Does anyone please recognise this problem and know how I may correct it?

MichelleC 15:03 07 Jan 2004

If both drivers are up to date try running a sfc as it may be an os issue.

Connaught 16:34 07 Jan 2004

Thanks MichelleC but, I am sorry, but what is an sfc?

MichelleC 16:58 07 Jan 2004

Go to RUN/ type sfc and replace any corrupt system files from os disc.

Connaught 20:41 07 Jan 2004

Thanks MichelleC. A lot of files were suspected of being corrupted mainly from AOLshare and Musicmatch Jukebox. I have replaced what I can from source but have not seen anything remotely like a printer file Is there anyway of pointing direct to the system files for printers to see if they are corrupted?

Many thanks

jgosden 20:49 07 Jan 2004

Think!!

when did it last work,

ok so what have you done to the pc since then that may have caused problems. Have you installed any new hardware or something,or installed any new software.

Try removing hardware that has just installed or anything that may have caused conflicts

MichelleC 22:50 07 Jan 2004

If you go to HP site and d/load both latest drivers. Delete both printers, unplugging, and deleting all software. Type in search/find HP's name and delete all files. Reboot, and plug in each printer one at a time and let install wizard navigate to drivers.

woodchip 22:55 07 Jan 2004

If you still have the drivers, Go to Start\Settings\printers and right click your printer and choose delete then reboot. Reload the Drivers

Connaught 19:12 08 Jan 2004

Thanks to all respondents - I have now redeemed the position and everything is working fine again

zilch 20:13 18 Apr 2004

Running windows 98se.
Get error message when trying to load drivers for hp970cxi printer saying insufficient hard drive space, even tho' there is 15GB available !
Tried removing all references to HP in registry and running the patch, but still no luck. Other programmes load with no problem .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?