Printers...the bane of my life!!

subaru 21:12 14 Nov 2006

Our domestic network works reasonably well, but I can guarentee shrieks and howls when printing doesnt happen as predicted. Weve got 4 or 5 PC's, a wireless Linksys (As advertised by PC world....UGH!!!)that keeps 2 or 3 laptops going on NTL broadband, and my sons big posh new Mac. I had a bright idea about using an old but serviceable Brother laser printer for non special print jobs, and our new and dazzling inkjet, a H/P 1610 hopefully being saved for colour and quality printing.
Now he's never managed to print off the Mac, so we decided to invest in a Netgear wireless print server, with 2 USB printer outputs. We thought that this would sort out all our problems, and werent put off when we read reviews saying that it could be a bit picky with what printers it would work with, and often knocked off some functions.
Well my son who is a whizz with the network, which has become more complex over the years appears stumped. The Netgear seems to defy logic, and hes barely got much working. Apparently the scanner on the H/P wont work, the Mac is just about going. The Netgear looks lovely twinkling in the dark though!
Have we gone a step too far, and made life too complicated? One of our aims was to avoid having to power up the PC that was feeding the printers when we wanted to print from the network. I think everything is functioning ok, but we've come to a standstill. Turning the PC on would seem a small price to pay for the old simple system, but that leaves the apparent glitch of the Mac printing through a PC, appearing to be impossible.
Help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone