Printer won't print on network

Ian in Northampton 18:05 02 Aug 2010

This is frustrating. I have a home network with a variety of Vista, XP and W7 machines. The network printer is attached to my XP machine. The W7 machine that I've just installed can 'see' the network printer - I can get to its properties, see what's spooling etc. - but it won't print a test page. Printing works fine for the other machines on the network. What am I doing wrong?

Woolwell 19:00 02 Aug 2010

Driver?

Ian in Northampton 19:02 02 Aug 2010

Woolwell: I thought I'd installed it - surely, I must have done for the PC to 'see' the printer? And wouldn't it give me an error message? But perhaps not. I'll give it a go. And perhaps I need to look for an Epson S20 W7 driver.

Woolwell 19:05 02 Aug 2010

Note my ? indicating a guess to a certain extent.

Ian in Northampton 19:56 02 Aug 2010

Yeah, noted... :-) But failing any other suggestions, it's got to be worth trying.

wiz-king 20:43 02 Aug 2010

Check in printer > properties > sharing that the win7 machine is set to share the printer.
the open a file on the machine and see if the printer appears in file > print and is selected as the default.

Ian in Northampton 13:24 03 Aug 2010

Well, guys, sometimes you just need to take a step back... I reinstalled the driver (a newer version) - but still no printing. I realised that, at no stage had I been asked whether the printer I wanted was a local printer or a network printer. So I deleted the printer, executed 'add a printer', checked the box that said 'network printer', browsed to the XP machine that the printer is locally attached to, clicked on 'connect' - and lo and behold, I now have a working network printer.

D'oh...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?