Printer (wireless) network sharing

Danoh 13:40 20 Feb 2006

Have setup a wireless network with 802.11g access ok, file/folder sharing also ok.

I have also shared a printer connected to one PC which connected via 802.11g as well.

I can see the printer as a network resource but when I do a test print from another PC (laptop) to that printer, it stays on the printer queue as having started printing but never seems to progress beyond the 1st byte transmitted.

After 25 mins or so, I can see the laptop's print job on the PC which is wired to the printer.

Is there something else I should consider to be able to share the printer wirelessly? Instal the printer's drivers on the laptop as well?

keewaa 15:12 20 Feb 2006

You should add the printer as a network printer on the laptop, this should install everything needed.

Danoh 09:15 21 Feb 2006

Thanks keewaa, will give that a try later on.

Danoh 00:28 28 Feb 2006

Strange, but now when I try to access WorkGroup Computers or add a network printer, I get a "no permission" message;

"WorkGroup is not accessible.
You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found".

So now I can't even see the shared printer.

I have had to install the printer onto the laptop as a local printer as I needed to print a few items off recently.
Do I need to uninstall all printer aspects from the non-printer-wired PCs?

keewaa 10:07 28 Feb 2006

No you don't need to uninstall from other PCs.

So you can still file share OK ?

what OS are installed XP home, XP pro ?

Danoh 13:46 28 Feb 2006

Hi keewaa :-) I did a quick check this morning and the software firewall on the PC wired to the printer was not allowing other PCs to connect to it!

OSes are XP Home and 1 Media Centre 2005 which is essentially XP Pro.

Will check out file share, etc., later today. Thanks for posting again!

Danoh 11:04 15 Mar 2006

it was some setup on the PC which had the printer connected to it.

File share; Shared folders which had been renamed where still shown with their old names via My Network Places (which is what I'd clicked on in my haste). Once I'd deleted them from My Network Places, it was fine.

Wireless printer sharing; there were old shared printers showing and I deleted these as well.
I think I deleted all shared printers and started again.
At this stage all wireless client PCs had the Epson printer previously installed (the installation routine required the PCs to be wired to the printer, in turn).

Last night a family member printed a 15 page powerpoint out, waking me up from my stupor as the printer was next to me :-)
Also reminded me to tick this as resolved ~ thanks again Keewaa!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?