Printer USB or Port on Old PC?

Hedders83 21:42 06 Oct 2003

I have given my dad my old system which is a Pentium 233 circa 1997, I am looking for a printer/copier for him but they all seem to be USB connected and the motherboard does not have a USB port, is there an adapter or does anyone know of a model that he can use a printer cable with instead? Many Thanks.

Simon_P 21:48 06 Oct 2003

You can get a PCI card with USB with 2 or 5 ports on it.

click here

woodchip 21:51 06 Oct 2003

He as to have win98 for USB you can then buy a cheap USB pci card and connect a USB printer but it will not work with Win95 also there should be USB connectors near the back edge of the motherboard two rows of four or five pins 8 to ten pins in all. if it has you can get a USB Bracket with two USB sockets for about £3.50 at a comp fair. if get that the red wire goes to pin one, this is marked on the motherboard right by the pins above

DieSse 22:06 06 Oct 2003

You're much safer getting a USB card. Even if there is a USB connector on the motherboard, the pins on it are to all sorts of different configurations - especially on old boards - so you can't rely on the wiring layour (and therefore on thew correct wiring for ports on a bracket), unless you have the motherboard manual and check VERY carefully.

Get it wrong, and the USB ports may never work again.

muppetmark 22:13 06 Oct 2003

The Canon I550 uses paralell or usb, I currently use one myself.

easyrider66 22:23 06 Oct 2003

Hi,
The epson c62 has a parallel connection.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?