printer switches to off line on boot up

dobbin 18:28 08 Aug 2004

When I boot up my computer, [win xp home edition] it switches the printers [Oki 14 ex and Epsom 850] to off line. So when i try to print a document they are spooled but not printed. The printers will not switch back to on line, I merely get an error message. However if I then reboot, the spooled documents are printed out and the printers remain on line. This is an intermittent fault and I cannot pin down the cause. I thought it was the Norton anti-virus which came preinstalled and removed this which seemed to solve the problem for several weeks but it has just started to recur again. The computer is a new hp with celeron 2.8 chip. Does anyone have any suggestions?

stalion 19:10 08 Aug 2004

have you tried doing a fresh instal of your printers

dobbin 20:31 08 Aug 2004

yes I have tried that several times

woodchip 20:40 08 Aug 2004

What happens if you turn the printers on after booting. In other words switch then of and boot

dobbin 08:28 09 Aug 2004

I don't know I will try it. Its an intermittent fault and does not always happen, so I may not be able to conclude anything from this. For example everything works fine this morning on boot up with both printers switched on.

woodchip 14:47 09 Aug 2004

May be a faulty MOBO

dobbin 14:58 09 Aug 2004

woodchip, what is a mobo?

dobbin 14:58 09 Aug 2004

woodchip, what is a mobo?

woodchip 15:03 09 Aug 2004

Motherboard, How are your printers connected through USB or parallel port or both?

dobbin 15:44 09 Aug 2004

parallel port via a leunig '4print2' switch

woodchip 15:50 09 Aug 2004

The port may be Faulty. It would not be the first, if you Have a ISA slot on the Motherboard a Black slot longer than the White PCI slot and just at the side of them. You can get a ISA parallel port card from PCWorld for £10 this should correct the Problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?