printer - suggestions please

palinka 19:34 17 Mar 2008

a neighbour currently has an Epson C66.She used it seldom (eg perhaps prints one email every couple of days or even longer interval. + A very occasional colour print). Her house is kept quite warm (she is elderly).
She told me today that her printer has given up working (actually I think it will still print but only on certain settings - but I haven't been able to check this out).
I feel a distinct sense of deja vu as a couple of years ago another neighbour, simialr circumstances/usage etc had the same probblem with an Epson, though a different model.
Both were bought from local PC shop (quite highly regarded locally,with helpful owners & staff). The shop gave same advice on both occasions - do a print head clean; on this occasion they've suggested running that 3 times!

I use Canons (currently an iP4300) and have never had problems BUT my usage is totally different.
Can any of you suggest a not-too-expensive printer that will stand up to heat and infrequent use; and is preferably inexpensive to run. Even a lengthy shortlist would help - Otherwise I'll be spending a lot of time investigating on neighbour's behalf.

woodchip 19:53 17 Mar 2008

New Epson as most Inkjet typ as that many holes for ink to come out, you need a microscope to see them. So if not used all the time get a Laser. As ink will dry if not used in these holes. Once blocked you will have a very hard time if not impossible to unblock them

woodchip 20:03 17 Mar 2008

If just Mono I use a Samsung that is very cheap to run ojly had one cart in it so far, but the model as been superseaded mine is a Samsung ML-4500

Hears one click here

Colour Laser click here

Review click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?