printer still wont print black

sgtdibble 18:46 28 Aug 2003

my nephews printer BJC4200 wont print black it prints colour perfect I have tried the cleaning programs with no success it has a scanner connected through it (paralell) would this affect it although its worked up to now I have tried the Canon website but its no use could I just wash the print head under the tap? any suggestions welcome to save uncle tom buying a new printer

BarryKeith 19:01 28 Aug 2003

It's possible that the ink nozzle has become blocked. If the printer has a removeable print head you could try removing the cartridges and sealing them so that they don't dry out, then soak the nozzle in warm water with a little washing-up liquid added. Make sure that you only place the nozzle area in water, as otherwise you may damage the electrics. Give it a good soak, then try flushing through the blocked nozzle, (I use a syringe with a small section of rubber tubing to create a seal.) you should be able to get a fine jet of water through the nozzle. If that does'nt work, it will probably mean a replacement as there's no much else you can do.

seedie 19:02 28 Aug 2003

Umm what do you get if you print a fews lines of black text, say from word?

sgtdibble 19:20 28 Aug 2003

seedie
--The top half of the word is missing and the rest is lined

toxin 19:39 28 Aug 2003

Hi sgtdibble!

Toxin here again, sorry to learn you've still got probs. From your post of 19.20, I think its almost certain it's blocked nozzles,

Is the printhead on the 4200 seperate from the ink cartridge, or is it an integral part?

I suppose you have tried a replacement cartridge!!!

Have you tried boosting the black in the colour management?

Toxin.

Toxin.

greenlamp 20:04 28 Aug 2003

the canon 4200 is a replacable print head [same as 4000, 4100 and 4300] and does have a finite life. In the pastI have managed to keep one going by flushing. All I did was to remove the cartridges and just covered the contact area in the print head [ the round silver area] with a little alcohol [IsoPropyl], and then ran the test page several times, removed the excess - the head is removable, dabbed it dry with kitchen towel -repeated the procedure with water and then again with alcohol. Print quality was usually adequate for a while after that. Proprietry cleaning fluids are available also.
Since the new print head comes with a colour and black cartridge the cost of replacement isn't as bad as it seems.

greenlamp 20:22 28 Aug 2003

Cost of BC21E [printhead, colour cartridge and black cartrige] is about £29 from mx2.com or 7dayshop.com. since the cartridges themselves are sealed you can still use up any ink you have left in your present cartridges.

sgtdibble 21:14 28 Aug 2003

Thanks to all for the suggestions I will try cleaning print head as suggested by toxin and greenlamp and if that fails a new print head seems favourite I will leave the thread open as i
open to other ideas thanks again ---Tom>>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?