PRINTER AND SOUNDCARD PROB WITH NEW INSTALL WIN98

KILLBILL3 09:58 08 Jul 2004

Hi people, ive just re-installed win98 over win2000. the soundcard isnt working and when i try to install a downloaded driver it doesnt work. its a cmedia card,
also have a prob with the printer- epson 440
its installed ok, the drivers and epson program is fine, but when i try to print, it says communication error with printer. its plugged in properly, theres only one lead! and the power is switched on.
any ideas? thanks

Cuddles 10:20 08 Jul 2004

You say your printer has only one lead, it must have two, one being power, the other being either paralell or usb, why are you installing 98 over 2000.

KILLBILL3 10:34 08 Jul 2004

i meant one lead besides the power.
im inst 98 because no games or the graphics card would install on 2000.

Valvegrid 13:11 08 Jul 2004

Hi,

Just trying to make sense of what you're saying. In the first post the soundcard and the printer isn't working, then in your last post the graphics card isn't working, it seems not too much is working by going back to 98.

The question needs to be asked, did you have windows 98 installed originally, if you did, did it all work OK? I'll probably be contradicted, but if I was in that situation I would save all my important data and re format the drive and clean reinstall windows 98, you may find it will pick up all the installed hardware.

KILLBILL3 13:54 08 Jul 2004

ok. confusion. i had 98 on originally. after 5 years windows became corrupt crashing all the time. may have been virus. so we removed all needed data and reformated and installed 2000. no games would work n couldnt install one of the graphics cards. or printer. was told to go back to 98. so i removed partition, reformatted and installed 98. now the 2nd graphics card is installed. but the soundcard wont (cmedia)and the printer wont work. software is installedfor printer. lights on. just says communicatoin error after trying to print

KILLBILL3 08:34 09 Jul 2004

any ideas please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?