Printer sharing solutions

tobyb121 14:31 01 Jun 2007

I am trying to share a printer on my home network. I know that it can be shared through another computer, but was wondering if I can connect it directly to my wireless router. It doesn't have any ethernet ports on it, just a usb. I don't want to buy a wireless printer server as this then means that something else is plugged in and using power all the time. So does anyone know of any solutions that I could use, the printer in question is a canon i470d and my router is a linksys wag54gs.

fitshase 16:40 01 Jun 2007

Not possible I'm afraid. You would need a print server to do what you want.

There are some wireless routers about with a USB print server built in but you will pay a premium.

fitshase 16:43 01 Jun 2007

Example router with print server:-

click here

FreeCell 17:23 01 Jun 2007

GIven you would have to add replace something in your current set-up , another approach would be to replace your printer with a network ready printer.

Need not be too expensive click here

silliw 19:01 09 Jun 2007

When you say it does not have any ethernet ports on it, just USB are you refering to your printer or your wireless router? I have a wired print server that accepts the usb connection from my printer and has an ethernet port to connect to one of 4 avalable ethernet sockets on the back of the wireless router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?