Printer sharing Problem

TomG 20:03 12 Sep 2006

Hi

Suddenly for no apparent reason (nobody has tinkered with settings) none of the pcs in my home network (win xp home, win xp pro and win2k) can print. The pc with the printer attached can print ok. I've tried disabling printer sharing and restarted the pc and re-enabled sharing and also re-run the network wizard to enable file and printer sharing - no change.

When I run the wizare on the client pcs to gain access to the printer, the wizard shows the pc to which the printer is attached but won't go any further. If you double click on the pc name nothing happens.

STREETWORK 21:12 12 Sep 2006

Try here

click here

TomG 21:32 12 Sep 2006

Hi

Thanks - but no change

Strawballs 23:01 12 Sep 2006

Try switching off all firewalls inc windows firewall which seems to switch itself on when you switch off any others. If that works check your firewall settings.

TomG 07:45 13 Sep 2006

Hi

The only firewall is in the router - all xp machines have the security centre diabled (and i've checled that this is still the case)

mikesuther 14:22 13 Sep 2006

The computer that is connected prints ok, well i would make sure that all pcs' are set file and printer sharing.

the next thing to try, would be click on network connections. Press start then Network connections check that all computers are showing up on the Home network or whatever you call your network.

Just out of curiosity is it possible to share files between machines at the moment? not just the base unit but all systems on the network. hope you can let me know soon.

Regards

Mike

ade.h 14:31 13 Sep 2006

The fact that ALL other clients fail to access the printer points to a problem with the printer host, not the other clients. I'm thinking along the lines of services or share permissions.

ade.h 14:35 13 Sep 2006

You might also need to check the ports in the hardware firewall. UDP 137, UDP 138, UDP 445, and TCP 139, and TCP 445 are required to be open for file and printer sharing (off-hand, I can't recall which ports - if any - are specific to printer sharing.)

TomG 20:07 13 Sep 2006

Hi thanks for the replies - sorry I've been running through my set ups again.

Occasionally all PCs can see each other on through network neighbourhood but not all the time.

ade.h (hi) I think you are on the right track - something must have happened to the host pc. I've even re-formatted my win2k laptop (it needed it anyway) but no change.
I've been through all the services on the host pc and cannot see any disabled that shouldn't be - are there any specific services that should be running? I looked in network settings for my wireless connection, it said connected firewalled?? but in control panel it said firewall turned off! but changing the network settings make no difference
I've looked at my router firewall (D-Link DSL-G604T) and couldn't find any port setting nor in the manual.

TomG 10:19 15 Sep 2006

^

ade.h 11:14 15 Sep 2006

You can rule out the hardware firewall by turning it off for a while. Advanced Security is on the left pane; you can stop it from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone